Author Topic: Avast Free 20.6.2420 (build 20.6.5495.587) - Protection disabled at boot...  (Read 9655 times)

Offline djdiabolik

It's this thread as been deleted ?

I repost again........

I have the trouble posted on title....... on latest and currently Windows 10 Home X64. When i boot (or reboot) my PC i see the Icon of Avast on tray whit a RED CROSS and say "i'm not protected".

If i check it and open the interface i see there's two protection not active:
- Ransomware
- Behavior

I need at every boot to enable it manually....... how i can fix this issue ?? How i can check to try to find where's the issue ?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Repair Avast:
1. Avast GUI -> Settings -> Troubleshooting
2. Click on 'REPAIR APP'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline djdiabolik

Repair Avast:
1. Avast GUI -> Settings -> Troubleshooting
2. Click on 'REPAIR APP'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.
OOH Thanks..... i can try in next hours.

Wait some my feedback later or max tomorrow...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline djdiabolik

You're welcome.

therefore...

I did all procedure... yesterday.

I remember i have click on "RIPARA APP".... it's appear a message say "the operation may take some time" and i have confirmed.
A Spin icon and a message appears and say "Repairing"..... after some seconds all disappears whitout any output message like "Completed" all other things.

After the first reboot apparently the problem seemed solved.

Instead today I turned my pc back on and the warning reappeared....... Reobtain the red cross and when open the main interface i can also read the two notification say two protection it's disabled:
On main interface this warning appears.. you can look a screenshoot here:
https://imgur.com/a/gn3ryXC

Try to embed:

Do you have so other suggest ?

I have try a look on app running as boot to see if it's present somethings can interfare whit AV correctly boot....... apparently all it's safe.

*EDIT*
Now..I did the procedure again:
Click on "Repair APP" button....... this time before to reboot my pc i have do a SCAN whit ADWCleaner.
This scan result have found two regedit voices........ i have also choose to remove than and ADWCleaner suggest to me to reboot my pc again.
This time I monitored the behavior of the pc at startup:
I see the Avast icon appears on the tray bar... apparently all it's ok. After that i see the other app like "Software Radeon" (control panel of amd driver) "Internet Download Manager" the icon of my "ASIO Audio Card Dj Mixer" and the icon of "Techology of Intel Rapid Storage".

After all icon my usual icon appears on the tray bar immediatelly after i see the RED Cross appears over the Avast icon....... this time it's say only ONE protection it's not active and there's the "Ramsonware Protection".

I do not understand why today indicated 2 .... and at this further start instead only one.....

One thing comes to mind .... Couldn't this be a false alarm? Isn't it that maybe the components are active but for some unknown problem it signals them as not activated?
For example, are there TEST files to test components?

And sorry for my BAD English but as you have seen above I am Italian and for reply here i have a big usage of Google Translator.......
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 12:02:04 AM by djdiabolik »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline djdiabolik

- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
- OS -> Windows 10 Home 64Bit 1909 (build SO 18363.959) winver result
- Other security... apparently nothings. Windows Defender it's disabled. About one years ago i use Avira on this same pc.

There is an Italian section, https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=26.0
Yeah i know but i have look in the section and i try to use it if here i can't explain exactly the situation...
It's the italian section have same "Expert" like the original and native section ?

*EDIT*
Otherwise after some days i have turn on my pc and this time only the "Behavior Protection" it's disabled as boot......... it's this AV made a LOG or somethings similar to see how appends during the boot ?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 12:17:39 PM by djdiabolik »

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
About one years ago i use Avira on this same pc.
Make sure you have uninstalled Avira properly.
Even if the FAQ of tools to uninstall third-party antivirus programs that may conflict with avast gives an outdated link , the Avira website advises to use Avira Registry Cleaner to removes all keys created by Avira.

Offline djdiabolik

Even if the FAQ of tools to uninstall third-party antivirus programs that may conflict with avast gives an outdated link , the Avira website advises to use Avira Registry Cleaner to removes all keys created by Avira.

Oh it's impossible Avira installed approx one or two years ago started to give problems only now ... I remember i have use already this uninstall tools in the pass before to install Avast.

However, just now I proceeded to do the complete uninstallation of Avast using the "avastclear.exe" official in the "Safe Mode".

At the next boot i see now it's active "Windows Defender"........ at right now i'm need to try to reinstall the latest free version..... i have already download the client to reinstall all.
Wait feedback in a moment.

*EDIT*
Download the full offline installer from same section:
- avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline.exe

Installation as begin......... wait to see what's appened.

*EDIT 2nd*
Reinstallation completed.......... i need to reboot.... again my pc to see what's appened at first boot after a complete unistall/reinstall procedure.
Wait another feedback in a hours or at max tomorrow (because in a minutes i need to shutdown and leave from my home and my pc.... problably i can comeback later today.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 02:59:14 PM by djdiabolik »

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster

Oh it's impossible Avira installed approx one or two years ago started to give problems only now ... I remember i have use already this uninstall tools in the pass before to install Avast.
In the world of computing, things are constantly changing and what was true yesterday is not necessarily true today with the release of a new version of avast for example.
It wouldn't be the first time that a conflict issue has arisen late in life
That said, if you say you have used the Avira tool in the past (we couldn't guess ;)), your problem may be elsewhere.

However, just now I proceeded to do the complete uninstallation of Avast using the "avastclear.exe" official in the "Safe Mode".

At the next boot i see now it's active "Windows Defender"........ at right now i'm need to try to reinstall the latest free version..... i have already download the client to reinstall all.
Wait feedback in a moment.

*EDIT*
Download the full offline installer from same section:
- avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline.exe

Installation as begin......... wait to see what's appened.
Uninstalling avast with the tool followed by an installation with an "offline" version is indeed a procedure that solves a lot of problems.I hope this was your case.

Offline djdiabolik

CUT CUT CUT not to make an infinite quote

Now you can read the previous read message........ i have use the both cleaner in safe mode.. i do this:
1) Download the avast cleaner and accept to run as Safe Mode. After that i see my Windows 10 boot in safe mode and the clean utility as been run as complete.
2) When the uninstall of avast it's completed the tools suggest to me to reboot my pc........ i have decline it and i have execute, also on safe mode, the avira uninstall tools which did not detect anything.

3) I have reboot my pc to "normal" windows section and i see the "Windows Defender" it's been actived.

4) I have download the full offline installer and i have reinstall it from scratch.

5) Wait the completation of installation.............

After that i have restored the previous .avastconfig files (previously saved before to uninstall for preserve list like exclusion etc etc). The restored configuration say to me again need to reboot my pc..... i need to do this to see how append and i hope all it's be now works correctly :)

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
I never doubted that you did not perform the procedure properly (I wasn't expecting a detail from you), I just said it was a good choice to have done this procedure.
I sincerely mean it
By waiting ...
wait to see what's appened.
and i hope all it's be now works correctly
... i am only hoping no more no less.

Offline djdiabolik

And my friends.... apparently this all procedure doesn't help to resolve this issue.

Today i have turn on my pc and nothings... Behavior Protection it's continue to not ENABLED at boot.

Or this it's a BUG whit this latest release or somethings incompatible whit currently build of windows 10.........

After this i have made a test.......... i know some files as been detected as "False Positive" on my pc and i'm add this to the "Exclusion" list.
I have copyed one of this files on my Desktop and BAAAAAM.... it's be appears the windows of Avast has blocked immediatelly the files and put it on "Trash of Virus".
It's strange because if it says that the "Behavior Protection" It is not actually active why does this happen ? Whit the "Behavior Protection" disabled Avast virus it's still active ?

Could it be a false warning (The notification say to me Behavior Protection it's disabled) maybe due to some bug ?
There is no log to check or that I can provide you to understand if this "Behavior Protection" is it actually active or not ?

I look an option (actually disabled) to do a DEBUG log inside the "Preferences" how it's works ?

*EDIT*
It also seems like a fairly common problem... not related to this exactly last version but it could be a starting point.....
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk03rGOq4cpZ0XKeJS23oz3_-r4PQGA%3A1597314262209&ei=1hQ1X_OpDKqqrgT_h76IAg&q=Avast+Behavior+disabled+at+boot&oq=Avast+Behavior+disabled+at+boot&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIGCAAQFhAeOgUIIRCgAToICCEQFhAdEB46BwghEAoQoAFQn9URWN3uEWCe8BFoAHAAeACAAXmIAcgNkgEDOC45mAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesABAQ&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjz7MWp-5frAhUqlYsKHf-DDyEQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

*EDIT 2*
Look some google result posted upper here....... someone speak about a Service called "aswbIDSAgent". I have open "services.msc" console and i look it's setted to "Manual" and it's not setted in "Autostart".
I have tryed to change the value but i obtain an errors... it's say "Access Denied". I have also see this process it's disabled when i disabled manually the Behavior protection from Avast app and i see there's in execution when it's enabled.
at this point why can't I set it as automatic start ?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 12:43:50 PM by djdiabolik »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
There is no log to check or that I can provide you to understand if this "Behavior Protection" is it actually active or not ?
You can check here: C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report