Author Topic: Cannot use, uninstall or reinstall  (Read 3661 times)

Offline michael2041

Cannot use, uninstall or reinstall
« on: August 05, 2020, 09:33:19 PM »
I have Avast Antivirus Free on my Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6 (18G6020). It's been okay for a few years, but now when I try to launch it, it silently fails. Just doesn't get started up. I wanted to reinstall it, but setup demands me to uninstall it first. The tutorial on uninstall requires me to run it first. It's a vicious circle. How do I poke the darn thing out of my Mac?

Offline iqorshoesize

Re: Cannot use, uninstall or reinstall
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 11:36:46 AM »
I have the same problem. I can't open Avast free on mac os 10.13.6 and therefore can't uninstall or reinstall. I had no previous problems.

Offline ddabrahim

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 01:55:00 PM »
If you open Finder and go to Applications and move Avast to the bin, does not help?
Alternatively you can also try to install some sort of uninstaller and cleaner from the App Store and try uninstall it that way.

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 10:14:19 AM »
Hello,
please start Terminal application and in it run the following command:

sudo /Applications/Avast.app/Contents/Backend/hub/uninstall.sh

It will ask you for your password. After it finishes, Avast should be uninstalled.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline rayben1

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 03:35:00 PM »
Tied your instructions Ondrej but get a message saying no directory with that address tried again copying and pasting your instructions did get a little farther in that it asked for my p/w after inserting my p/w came up with command not found
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 03:45:15 PM by rayben1 »

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 08:09:54 AM »
Tied your instructions Ondrej but get a message saying no directory with that address tried again copying and pasting your instructions did get a little farther in that it asked for my p/w after inserting my p/w came up with command not found
Run
sudo /Applications/Avast.app/Contents/Backend/hub/uninstall.sh &>~/Desktop/avastuninstall.log
and afterwards send me content of avastuninstall.log file in Desktop folter to ondrej.kolacek <at> avast.com . I can look at it.

By the way, here is how Avast should be uninstalled: (https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Uninstall-Mac-Security); doing anything else may leave parts behind, and, depending on which ones, may lead to problems like these.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline rayben1

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 03:42:03 PM »
Sorry I cannot send you any further information as outlook doesn't recognize the email address you give, however after copying and pasting the last link in your reply after entering my p/w the next line shows users-imac:~ userS. but Avast left overs are still on my mac tried installing avast again but getting the same message telling me to uninstall previous install
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 04:28:52 PM by rayben1 »