Author Topic: WiFi inspector does not update  (Read 4060 times)

Offline ddabrahim

WiFi inspector does not update
« on: August 08, 2020, 11:13:03 PM »
Hi.

*I have Avast Premium Security.

I have noticed recently when I connect to my wifi after my computer scanned the network, the Wifi inspector not always update automatically and does not show any new devices connected since the last scan. I have to run manual scan of the network.
I also tried to run monitor of the network but I got the same result.
Also tried to open-close the inspector, open-close Avast, no change, the inspector does not update unless I run a manual scan of the network.

macOS Catalina 10.15.6
Avast Premium Security Version 14.5
Virus definitions: 20080802

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 10:28:45 PM by ddabrahim »

Offline ddabrahim

Re: WiFi inspector does not update
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 07:38:53 PM »
Could anyone please confirm if it a bug, missing feature or if am I doing wrong something?

1. Disconnect your phone from Wifi
2. Turn on your Mac
3. Wait for Avast to finish scanning the wifi network
4. Turn Monitoring on
5. Connect your phone to the same network as your Mac

Did the Wifi inspector update and display your phone automatically?
It does not update for me, my phone is not listed in the Wifi inspector to be connected to the network unless I run a manual scan again.

Edit:// I also noticed in the past even if the Wifi inspector did update and display my device in the list but report that the last time seen the devices on the network 1 hour ago or even more when the device was connected at all time. Did anyone experienced this?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:56:16 PM by ddabrahim »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 11:54:57 AM »
Just to be sure, you do have Avast Premium security? The monitoring feature is only in the paid version
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline ddabrahim

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 08:05:26 PM »
Yes. I have Avast Premium Security, paid version on a different account. For security reasons I don't use that account/email on the forum.

Thanks.

Offline ddabrahim

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 10:35:59 PM »
Wondering if am I the only macOS user here who paid for Avast...

In case it is working for everybody, wondering if there is something about my settings. I have for example the firewall turned on. Wondering if that could be the problem. Yeah, right turn it off and try, no I won't turn off the firewall... Just talking to my self. Don't mind it.

Fortunately I`m using my license on Windows too, otherwise I would ask for refund at this very moment.
Ridiculous no devs and mods asking questions while a paid feature does not work for someone.

Is there a proper channel I could ask for actual support for my money?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 10:37:54 PM by ddabrahim »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 06:51:16 AM »
Is there a proper channel I could ask for actual support for my money?
Contact support: https://support.avast.com/contact
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline ddabrahim

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 06:17:44 PM »
Thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 06:28:03 AM »
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Radek Brich

• Developer (Linux AV, Mac AV)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 09:43:32 AM »
Could anyone please confirm if it a bug, missing feature or if am I doing wrong something?

1. Disconnect your phone from Wifi
2. Turn on your Mac
3. Wait for Avast to finish scanning the wifi network
4. Turn Monitoring on
5. Connect your phone to the same network as your Mac

Did the Wifi inspector update and display your phone automatically?
It does not update for me, my phone is not listed in the Wifi inspector to be connected to the network unless I run a manual scan again.

Edit:// I also noticed in the past even if the Wifi inspector did update and display my device in the list but report that the last time seen the devices on the network 1 hour ago or even more when the device was connected at all time. Did anyone experienced this?

Thanks.

Yes, this should work. The newly connected device is detected when it broadcasts an ARP request, which it normally has to do before being able to communicate on the network. The last time seen is also linked to ARP requests. If the device is inactive, it won't be "seen".