Author Topic: How to stop CleanUp (Premium) starting at PC Start-Up ?  (Read 11656 times)

Offline Robert1394

How to stop CleanUp (Premium) starting at PC Start-Up ?
« on: August 09, 2020, 11:01:22 AM »
Please can you tell me how to stop Avast Cleanup starting when the PC/laptop boots;
it really hogs resources.

Also when Cleanup is running it would be nice to be able to control it in the same way as Avast virus scanner can be controlled
(right mouse click on Taskbar icon).

Ideally, it should simply be an app than runs when I want it too and tell it too.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Re: How to stop CleanUp (Premium) starting at PC Start-Up ?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 12:46:20 PM »
Please can you tell me how to stop Avast Cleanup starting when the PC/laptop boots;
it really hogs resources.

Also when Cleanup is running it would be nice to be able to control it in the same way as Avast virus scanner can be controlled
(right mouse click on Taskbar icon).

Ideally, it should simply be an app than runs when I want it too and tell it too.

Hi,

currently it is possible to only control starting of the system tray icon with Windows startup (Settings -> General -> System tray icon).
However we are working on an improvement in this area which will give you more control about the service and UI process and thus you can run the Cleanup only in cases when you want it/need it.

Please bear with us for a couple more week until we will finish it and release this new functionality.

Thank you.

Offline Léaa

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 10:09:04 AM »
Hello!
Indeed, I also find that an improvement is necessary on this point, and this since I use Avast.
I'm not like men who know things, but I would settle for what there is. running the Cleanup after starting the PC bothers everyone, but not just me.
If there is anything you can do to control it, that will be great.
Thanks for understanding us and of course I'm happy to know that you are going to do something about this problem.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 10:11:17 AM by Léaa »
Salutation!
Léa

Offline toshonada

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 07:22:10 AM »
A month passed and it became clear that the developers in two weeks could not bring up their program as you promised. CleanUp starting with the system increases the boot time of Windows from three minutes up  to 10-12. I had to remove the program - it behaves like the owner of the computer.

When the user has the opportunity to run the program in manual mode, then I will install it again. For now, only regrets.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 07:30:27 AM by toshonada »

Offline josh.motroni

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 09:53:41 PM »
It's February 2021, and this feature is still missing.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 09:37:02 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am sorry for not bringing better news but this particular functionality is still in progress, as we had to prioritize Accessibility changes against everything else.
Therefore the upcoming release (already in Beta) will be focused on Accessibility and then we will get back to adding options to basically disable everything related to Cleanup if it is not in use.

I am really sad that I cannot tell you that we have it for you but our team is unfortunately quite small and we do not have the velocity we would need to bring such features to you faster.
I also completely understand your frustration but please bear with us as we hear you and we are really doing our best to give you what you need!

Thank you for your support!

Offline Bob283

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 10:28:39 AM »
It is now April 7 2021. Please can you sort this issue out as soon as possible as I am thinking about cancelling my renewal?

Offline asparagus

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 10:31:22 AM »
Nearly a year since the original post, and five months since the last update bulletin from the Avast guys. I'm chipping in because I want to add my voice to those reporting dissatisfaction. I have been increasingly aware for many weeks of just how long it now takes my Windows 7 desktop to finish booting and become usable. This is a new problem on the timescale of the machine's life. Typically my first application start is email (Thunderbird) or browser. I need to allow several minutes before doing this, once the Windows desktop appears; any sooner, and the application does not post its UI for several minutes anyway. Yesterday for the first time I monitored what was going on with Task Manager, and it is definitely Avast Cleanup UI that is responsible. Phase 1 is general Windows faffing about; phase 2 is the appearance of multiple instances of TuneUpUI.exe (I think as many as five, before settling down to three); phase 3 is the subsequent appearance of multiple instances of AvastUI.exe, settling down to four. Only after phase 3 is complete can I actually do anything useful, and like I say, this is minutes later.

Is this expected behaviour? Should there be multiple instances running? Is it possible to disable it pending an improved release?

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 01:14:43 PM »
Hi,

There is a new beta version that addresses this issue. Please consider trying it. Please see: https://forum.avast.com/?topic=290219.msg1637254#msg1637254

Offline asparagus

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 10:59:38 PM »
Happy to consider that but please can you explain how a beta version works, and can sensibly be tested, alongside an existing buggy version of the same thing? Does the existing version get uninstalled by the beta version?

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 10:02:27 AM »
Happy to consider that but please can you explain how a beta version works, and can sensibly be tested, alongside an existing buggy version of the same thing? Does the existing version get uninstalled by the beta version?

Hi,

You can uninstall the current version and then install the Beta version (no activation required) to test it. If you are not comfortable with this, kindly wait for the release of Avast Cleanup Premium 21.2 (which would include the improvements mentioned in the beta version)

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 01:53:41 PM »

Hi,

basically you would get and update to a higher product version together with Beta license and Beta configuration (future updates, configurations, etc. would be by default automatically downloaded from Beta "channel" rather then from the Public one), otherwise there are usually only minor differences between the current Beta build and the one we release to Public afterwards as we try to keep the quality of our Beta build pretty high.
Although if you don't want to bother with Beta build installation and then getting it back I would probably recommend to wait for about a week and we shall get to a Public version by that time, I will definitely announce it here on the forum as usual (e.g. see the previous version announcement here https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=249837.0).

Thank you and have a nice day.

Offline steventillson02

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 11:49:36 AM »
Just go to task manager and disable startup type for Avast.

It will not open when Windows starts.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 02:32:06 PM »
Just go to task manager and disable startup type for Avast.

It will not open when Windows starts.
That's like using a sledgehammer to swat a fly. 
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2021, 03:24:43 PM »
Hello everyone,

Let me inform you that we've released a new version which includes settings where you can set up which part of the product you want to keep active or disable.
See my new version post for more details: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=291865.0

If you are interested in stopping Cleanup starting with the PC/Windows startup please check Developer settings - Keep all features working when I close Cleanup settings which configures whether you want to keep Cleanup running on the background (and starting together with PC/Windows startup) or whether you want to use Cleanup only "on-demand" and only then everything is started all over again.

I hope this explains the new settings and please let me know if you will run into any issue using them.

Thank you!