Author Topic: Err_Connection_Reset  (Read 5925 times)

Offline ArtNJ

Err_Connection_Reset
« on: August 09, 2020, 11:24:19 PM »
After much hard work, I discovered that Avast Security was somehow crippling both chrome and safari and causing many web sites to not load (irregularly, sometimes they worked).  Avast was updated, and run, and other common solutions tried.  Finally, unchecking everything avast does fixed the problem. 

What is going on here?  I've used Avast Security for years on this same mac without issues.  One web site said if your antivirus does this, you can uninstall and reinstall it.  Do I need to do that?  How do you even uninstantall is?

Thanks!

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Err_Connection_Reset
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 09:14:30 AM »
Hello,
please could you send us a support package (https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-Mac-Security-support-file), and when you have done it, notify us in this thread here so that we do not miss the package? I will analyse the content to hopefully find out what could be wrong.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline ArtNJ

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 01:25:01 PM »
Ok I did it.  I put web shield and file shield back on before trying it, but it seemed to get stuck so I shut off the shields again and it went through.  With the shields active, its err_connection_reset ffor almost every website most of the time. 

P.S.  For a tech company, your verification option is incredibly annoying. 

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 02:54:22 PM »
P.S.  For a tech company, your verification option is incredibly annoying.
Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline ArtNJ

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 11:56:58 PM »
Now I can't even delete the app.  In activity monitor when I force close it immediately reopens. 

I see I got an email from you as to the main issue, so I guess I'll try and work on that and abandon the effort to delete and reinstall.  Still, a weird bug. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 12:01:31 AM by ArtNJ »

Offline David2461

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 10:13:47 AM »
Hi there,

I am having the same issue. In the last couple of weeks, Chrome and Safari on my iMac and Macbook (each in different location – office vs home) are randomly giving me err_connection_reset for random websites, sometimes it lasts for 30 seconds, sometimes for several minutes. It is very annoying and it starts to affect my work.

I tried all the usual "reset everything", update all OS etc etc etc. I have even discussed this issue with my ISP who advised couple of things to try like testing various DNS (cloudflare, google etc.), but nothing helped. Until...surprise...I switched off Avast Web Shield and the problem went away (so far).

I don't feel comfortable to have WebShield switched off, but I need to work as well. If it is Avast-related problem (and so far everything seems that is is), it would be really nice to have a fix asap.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 10:16:17 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 12:21:03 PM »
Hi there,

I am having the same issue. In the last couple of weeks, Chrome and Safari on my iMac and Macbook (each in different location – office vs home) are randomly giving me err_connection_reset for random websites, sometimes it lasts for 30 seconds, sometimes for several minutes. It is very annoying and it starts to affect my work.

I tried all the usual "reset everything", update all OS etc etc etc. I have even discussed this issue with my ISP who advised couple of things to try like testing various DNS (cloudflare, google etc.), but nothing helped. Until...surprise...I switched off Avast Web Shield and the problem went away (so far).

I don't feel comfortable to have WebShield switched off, but I need to work as well. If it is Avast-related problem (and so far everything seems that is is), it would be really nice to have a fix asap.
Hello,
please check your mail if you are willing to help us analysing the issue.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline Samuel251

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 03:08:09 AM »
Hi, this is also happening to myself and a number of our users at work.

Any update on the investigation?

We just rolled out a new business package of Avast recently - in the past we did not have this issue with our more basic plan.

Some of my research indicated that this issue has been present since 2011/2012 -
& the advice I gathered online was to disable:
Scan Secure Connections, under Web Shield.

I will can try this and monitor the results?

Thanks