Author Topic: AVAST Free 2020 Antivirus does not activate/register  (Read 5219 times)

Offline westaust55

Re: AVAST Free 2020 Antivirus does not activate
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2020, 12:13:40 AM »
R@vast,

I have this morning (Australian time) tried again and the Avast support software did now upload a file without a ticket number.

The File ID is: QFUE0

Filename is: 20200806_2206_QFUE0_1495671961.zip

Offline westaust55

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 11:04:05 AM »
Attn: Rv@st,

Typing: C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Subscriptions

into the windows explorer found that there are no files in that folder. See attached image.

By comparison, my wife's almost identical PC has a file with the name "license".

EDIT:
I tried to do an "experiment" and copy the "license" file from my wife's PC into the mentioned directory on my PC.
Seems it cannot be done even with Administrator rights - blocked/locked by AVAST ???
If I create a folder as C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Subs
then I can copy the file into that "subs" folder but not into the "subscriptions" folder.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 11:35:34 AM by westaust55 »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2020, 10:29:18 AM »
Attn: Rv@st,

Typing: C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Subscriptions

into the windows explorer found that there are no files in that folder. See attached image.

By comparison, my wife's almost identical PC has a file with the name "license".

EDIT:
I tried to do an "experiment" and copy the "license" file from my wife's PC into the mentioned directory on my PC.
Seems it cannot be done even with Administrator rights - blocked/locked by AVAST ???
If I create a folder as C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Subs
then I can copy the file into that "subs" folder but not into the "subscriptions" folder.

Hi,

Please re-install again but follow all the steps as mentioned here: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/94

Offline westaust55

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2020, 12:18:23 PM »
Hello R@vast,

I have gone through all the steps using the Avast uninstaller, deleted all remaining subdirectories, used Windows safe mode, checked for specified files in System32/Drivestore, etc . . .
(I must remember next time to copy all the instructions first as once in Windows safe more could not access internet to read next steps - had to use my phone . .)
Then I turned off the separate ZoneAlarm firewall software and re-installed Avast Free virus software.

However, the bad news is that still when Avast Free Antivirus software is installed I am informed that the software has expired and the license is no longer valid.

A check in the directory C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Subscriptions
finds that there is still no license file.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 06:02:58 AM by westaust55 »

Offline westaust55

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2020, 06:07:33 AM »
Hello all,

Today I have tried some further possible solutions and seemingly found a solution/workaround.

I tried setting the Free Avast software to passive mode and then reset the computer.
That definitely occurred as Windows10 alerted me to the fact that neither windows or Avast antivirus was enabled.

However I could not get the Avast software to update and remove the expired license indication.
While it was in passive mode I also tried to copy the license file from my wifes computer but again even with Administrator permission it was blocked.

A workaround:
What I have now done is to
(a) uninstall the Avast free antivirus software, then
(b) I could copy over the license file from my wife's computer (the relevant Avast Software folder are left in place), and
(c) re-installed the Avast free antivirus software.
Lo and behold, the license file was not removed and the re-installed avast free antivirus software now indicates my Avast subscription/license is valid.  :)

From the taskbar, right clicking the "Registration Information"  indicates the subscriptions on this PC as:
    Avast Free Antivirus <active> 
    Expires August 22, 2021 (366 days left)

So while not optimal, I have seemingly worked out how to restore active/registered version.
Luckily, I had access to another PC with the free avast antivirus software from which to copy the license file.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: AVAST Free 2020 Antivirus does not activate/register
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2020, 07:20:43 AM »
Hi, thanks for the feedback/workaround.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0