Author Topic: Behaviour and Ransomware Shields disabled on startup  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Vivienne!!!!

Behaviour and Ransomware Shields disabled on startup
« on: August 20, 2020, 07:08:19 PM »
Apparently this is a common issue, which I think is ridiculous. I've repaired Avast from within the Avast ui, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Avast from safemode, I've checked the behaviour and ransomware shield logs and neither of them SAY they were disabled, just activated when I turned my PC on and then activated again 15 minutes later when I activated them myself. If this problem keeps up, I'm switching to another antivirus. I hate to sound entitled but this is completely unacceptable.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
Re: Behaviour and Ransomware Shields disabled on startup
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 10:56:42 PM »
A new item on my Avast wishlist: a system scan to identify and repair system software faults which might cause problems with Avast.

You might try running a Windows drive check in case some folders/files have become inaccessible.  I do not suggest that a system problem is the fault of its user but the effects can be mystifying.  I am very diligent in running the drive checker when a system halts or crashes, if only to rule out that circumstance.

To be fair to Avast, I find it very reliable with regard to the kind of problems you are experiencing and it is becoming increasingly reliable with each update.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.1, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline djdiabolik

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 12:24:54 AM »
A new item on my Avast wishlist: a system scan to identify and repair system software faults which might cause problems with Avast.

You might try running a Windows drive check in case some folders/files have become inaccessible.  I do not suggest that a system problem is the fault of its user but the effects can be mystifying.  I am very diligent in running the drive checker when a system halts or crashes, if only to rule out that circumstance.

To be fair to Avast, I find it very reliable with regard to the kind of problems you are experiencing and it is becoming increasingly reliable with each update.
Oh... we can continue to use only a thread to avoid creating confusion and try to identify the problem and a solution common to all.

As I mentioned in my thread... on my case i have also do a full clean reinstall of Avast and even after this the problem did not go away.

I honestly think it's a banal bug because it seems to only affect the extra components and not the main virus protection.... apparently only the external components like behavior... ramsomware protection etc etc they are plagued by these problems....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 01:24:55 AM »
Personally I wouldn't call it "a banal bug" as the Behaviour Shield can be a strong protection component. Whilst the Ransomware Shield I don't even use it.  I have for many years been taking care of such issues in my robust backup and recovery strategy and where possible files that I don't need/use on a regular basis I store off-line.

It is certainly a pain in the backside for those suffering it, there doesn't appear to be a common, definitive cause and one that on occasions survives even a clean reinstall.  This would tend to indicate some sort of conflict on the users system, how to find that can be very difficult.

This is why it is important to try and gather data and forward it to Avast as mentioned in this post:
Follow instructions: https://support.avast.com/article/33/ and post the File-ID and/or name of the Support-File here afterwards.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline djdiabolik

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 05:35:36 AM »
Personally I wouldn't call it "a banal bug" as the Behaviour Shield can be a strong protection component. Whilst the Ransomware Shield I don't even use it.  I have for many years been taking care of such issues in my robust backup and recovery strategy and where possible files that I don't need/use on a regular basis I store off-line.

It is certainly a pain in the backside for those suffering it, there doesn't appear to be a common, definitive cause and one that on occasions survives even a clean reinstall.  This would tend to indicate some sort of conflict on the users system, how to find that can be very difficult.

This is why it is important to try and gather data and forward it to Avast as mentioned in this post:
Follow instructions: https://support.avast.com/article/33/ and post the File-ID and/or name of the Support-File here afterwards.
Maybe "banal" it's not correct term in fact..... we can say however that all the other protections like "Ramsomware" and "Behavior" can be considered optional in fact the same avast setup gives you full freedom to install them or not.
I used the term "banal" because if the problem was in the main virus protection then other terms could be used :)

About report gather data i'm totally agree...... as I said in the "my" thread on next time before to enable manually the problematic component on next boot (in my case behavior) i try to use the "SENDS LOG" but there's a little trouble:
On my current Avast panel this buttons it's not present....... i thinks it's because i use Avast free or i use Avast whitout an account logged in.

As mentioned we can continue to discuss it in the other thread. :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 10:11:06 AM »
Submitting suggestions/ideas: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=235975.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0