Author Topic: Could Avast for Windows have deleted my mails in outlook mailbox in?  (Read 1709 times)

Offline dondejong

Hello there,

From the 13th or 14th of August i have lost all my emails in outlook, outlook mobile and also on my service provider web mail.

We have spend the last two days trying to figure out what could have happend? i have been in ctc with Microsoft as well as my ISP and we cant figure out where they are and why they are gone?

I have not touched or even went near any settings and it all worked fine the past 2 years.

i only just realized i did get an update on avast cleanup arround that time and i also did some scans.

So the question is, is it possible Avast has deleted them? or is deleting them? maybe do to my own settings or doing?

thank you in advance,
best regards
Don

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Re: Could Avast for Windows have deleted my mails in outlook mailbox in?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 11:25:47 AM »
Hello there,

From the 13th or 14th of August i have lost all my emails in outlook, outlook mobile and also on my service provider web mail.

We have spend the last two days trying to figure out what could have happend? i have been in ctc with Microsoft as well as my ISP and we cant figure out where they are and why they are gone?

I have not touched or even went near any settings and it all worked fine the past 2 years.

i only just realized i did get an update on avast cleanup arround that time and i also did some scans.

So the question is, is it possible Avast has deleted them? or is deleting them? maybe do to my own settings or doing?

thank you in advance,
best regards
Don

Hi,

Avast Cleanup is not intended to touch any user's data at all. In rare cases when e.g. the data is stored in an unsual location it might happen that it could be deleted, however that would still not explain why your emails dissapear even from the server side because that's completely out of Avast Cleanup reach.

So based on that I would say that is is very unlikely that our product deleted your email, however in order to make 100% sure we could check the logs from your machine.
You can simply send them by executing our log collector utility from this path C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\tulogcollector.exe and once the logs are collected they will be automatically send to our server.
Once it is done, please let me know which email address you have used there so we can join the logs with your report here.

Thank you.