Author Topic: Unable to uninstall Avast  (Read 3072 times)

Offline tomellisphoto

Unable to uninstall Avast
« on: November 04, 2020, 08:18:30 AM »
I just tried to uninstall Avast from my iMac, and am finding it to be challenging to put it mildly.  I first used the Uninstall program on the disk image without success.  I then searched out every Avast file that I could using Spotlight, moved them to trash and then emptied the trash.  Tried to open a website that Avast doesn't like (which is why I'm dumping Avast in the first place), and somehow Avast is still actively blocking this website.

Next I installed a cleaner program (Mac Cleaner) to get rid of Avast.  It was not able to find any Avast files to remove.  WTF?!?

I am now officially over my head.  I have looked at several pages with instructions for how to remove Avast, and all of them have told me to do just what I have done.

Yes, I have restarted the Mac several times in the process of trying everything above.  It seems to make no difference what I do, Avast just will not go away!

Please help!   :'( :'( :'(

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Unable to uninstall Avast
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 08:26:27 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline tomellisphoto

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 07:13:51 PM »
I just reinstalled Avast as an experiment.  Once again I set up an exception for the website I wanted to visit, and additionally turned off the web shield entirely.

Result?  Site was still blocked!

So I again used the Uninstall tool included on the dmg.  But Avast will not go away!  The app still shows up in my Application folder, and the website is still being blocked.

Something is seriously screwed up here.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 09:05:29 PM »
@  tomellisphoto

Stick to your other topic in which I have replied, as this uninstall issue is unrelated to this 'Avast AntiTrack' sub-forum.  Though you do have two separate but different problems

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=239409.msg1566816#msg1566816

Your problem with Uninstall should be considered a separate issue and just deal with that here, the other topic about your inability to connect to a site (which is also blocked by High Court Order) for content.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security