Author Topic: Suggestion for new forum  (Read 10025 times)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Suggestion for new forum
« on: January 22, 2004, 08:24:16 PM »
Hi,

I see the mods locked a couple of threads because they didn't feel they belonged anywhere here.  And I certainly won't argue that, given the forums that are available.

Any consideration to adding something along the lines of Wilder's "ten-forward", which is mostly just-social plus other odd and ends that just don't fit anywhere else?

It would mean extra load on the servers, of course, and extra work for the mods -- and that alone is perfectly good reason to turn down the idea.  But maybe look into it, although that's probably already been done more than once?

Thanks, and keep up the great work,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Suggestion for new forum
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 09:40:27 PM »
Such a forum would have to be unmoderated (does such a word exist in English? ::))...

Personally I don't have anything against such thing - let's wait for the other decision-makers for their attitude.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

CoJo

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 10:55:42 PM »
hey Mike! I like your idea...
'course, as Vlk pointed out, we would have to police our selves...which would be all right...you and I have experience doing such things! ;D

and it would also give folks like me--computer slow--a place to ask stupid/innocent/very basic questions and not feel ashamed to do so...it is very hard on the ego to always ask what probably appears to others as dumb :-[
but they still need asked if I am to have a safe computer...if that makes sense!

and since this is a world class operation  :)  with people from all over the world, it could be great fun.

cojo

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 11:11:58 PM »
Ok - here it is - there is new forum called off-topic. It is not moderated right now - I wish it will last forever!

Please be polite to other community members!

I have named Technical (actually without his knowledge) as some supervisor there - he has the highest number of contributions here so he definitely deserves it ;)

Enjoy!

Pavel

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 11:42:58 PM »
Pavel what kind of "control" does Technical have?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 11:49:42 PM »
Pavel what kind of "control" does Technical have?

Not fully clear yet  ;D (actually I do not even know if he agrees with his new position at all). I firmly believe he will not need to do anything and the board will work without any interference. In case of some serious flame war he can try to calm down the hot heads and if not succeeding, he can inform some of the moderators...

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 11:51:51 PM »
 I think he is prefectly Qualified for the job
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

The Hurricane

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 11:56:26 PM »
I think this new forum will make MacLover happy  ;D and I will do my best to try to help technical keep things under control as the forums "super hero"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 11:57:16 PM by The Hurricane »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 12:12:16 AM »
I will enjoy it Hurricane.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 01:53:23 AM »
Ok - here it is - there is new forum called off-topic. It is not moderated right now - I wish it will last forever!

Please be polite to other community members!

I have named Technical (actually without his knowledge) as some supervisor there - he has the highest number of contributions here so he definitely deserves it ;)

Enjoy!

Pavel

Thanks, Pavel - now I'm actually blushing, my suggestion got accepted AND implemented in a matter of hours.  ;)  Maybe things are different at Alwil, but I'm accustomed to such things requiring weeks of both public and private debate.

It remains to be seen, of course, whether Technical accepts the new honor you've accorded him.  ;D  But we'll certainly do our best to, as CoJo put it, police ourselves.

Thanks again, and best,
Mike
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

The Hurricane

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 01:18:39 PM »
If technical doesnt accept I would gladly do the job or mabye Mike would be better than me

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 08:30:28 PM »
If technical doesnt accept I would gladly do the job or mabye Mike would be better than me

I'm flattered, Hurricane, and thanks for the vote of confidence.  :)

But I'd have to decline with thanks, if the situation comes to that -- I'm retired and would be just as happy to stay that way.  But of course I'll still be here as one more user-member for the usual give-and-take with help and suggestions.

Best,
Mike

The Hurricane

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 09:32:17 PM »
I'm flattered, Hurricane, and thanks for the vote of confidence.
You are welcome Citizen Mike

But I'd have to decline with thanks, if the situation comes to that -- I'm retired and would be just as happy to stay that way.  But of course I'll still be here as one more user-member for the usual give-and-take with help and suggestions.

I will help out technical then  ;)  "Thru howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!"

The Hurricane

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2004, 09:35:07 PM »
if technical backs out mabye alwil will put me as the man in charge?
in any case  all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

CoJo

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2004, 05:52:04 PM »
Hurricane...no offense, but lets give Technical a chance.
in an open forum there is no one person in charge...usually a non-moderated group polices itself...by polices, I mean that the group as a whole shows respect and tolerance for any poster--unless that poster is flaming or attacking someone. We must practice the golden rule, so to speak.
Unless something really gets out of hand, ignoring such a person is the best solution. If it does get out of hand, that is when Technical would step in and defuse the situation.
In all honesty--there's going to be vast differences of opinion and that can be a great way to learn, but we have to accept these differences without resorting to name calling, etc. Any half grown person can "debate" a position without resorting to attacks, etc.

It can be a valuable forum...if we behave as intelligent, honorable adults.

cojo