Author Topic: Avast Free Antivirus Wi-Fi Inspector Forget Devices Not Working  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Leonard57

When I use the Avast Free Antivirus Wi-Fi Inspector, all my devices do appear in the list, but 4 additional devices also appear as Unknown with addresses that do not match anything I know of. When I attempt to FORGET DEVICE, it does not forget the device.... it appears every time I run a Wi-Fi Inspector scan.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Free Antivirus Wi-Fi Inspector Forget Devices Not Working
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 06:40:57 PM »
Well the IP addresses indicate they/it are/is on your local network.

From what I see it is only one Device the other information is related to that, the IP and MAC addresses are the same.
Your attached image is showing the details of just one device an image of the previous screen showing all devices might help.

Do you have a other Mobile or Tablet devices that connect to your home network wirelessly ?

When you run this scan are you selecting Home or Public as the Network type ?

If I run a scan it finds:
1.  My Mobile phone
2.  My Android Tablet
3.  My Laptop
4.  My Router

Although it mentions 5 devices found but there is duplication of the laptop as it has two network connection methods WiFi and a network cable.

So for me the results are as expected for a Home network scan.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 06:47:41 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Leonard57

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 07:39:15 PM »
Image of previous screen attached.

Images of each of the 4 UNKNOWN devices attached.

I select HOME when I conduct the scan

I also do have a tablet - so I'm not certain why it doesn't appear in the list [ it is NOT powered on at all today ] In my list of devices from the BELL modem controls, the tablet is 192.168.2.14, which might explain one of the "UNKNOWN" devices.... but I cannot explain what the other 3 "UNKNOWN" devices are

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 08:00:43 PM »
I'm not sure how the unconnected unnamed devices are reported, e.g. if they aren't connected I don't know if/how the WiFi Inspector can collect the data as in the other connected devices.

Are your WiFi Inspector settings the same as mine, see attached.

If so I wonder if unchecking the rescan home networks automatically might effect this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Leonard57

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 09:22:36 PM »
My Wi-Fi Inspector setting are shown in the attached JPG.

Unchecking Re-Scan Home Networks made no difference in the result - still 4 Unknown devices

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 10:23:30 PM »
I realise that I must be very thick because I cannot make head nor tail of WiFi Inspector as it has recently developed into.  It used to comprehendible and once showed its value in pointing about a WiFi router vulnerability which was patched shortly afterwards, the result of the WiFi Inspector scan having being communicated to the ISP.  I hope that the present WiFi Inspector can still identify equipment security flaws.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.3.6108, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 10:38:55 PM »
I realise that I must be very thick because I cannot make head nor tail of WiFi Inspector as it has recently developed into.  It used to comprehendible and once showed its value in pointing about a WiFi router vulnerability which was patched shortly afterwards, the result of the WiFi Inspector scan having being communicated to the ISP.  I hope that the present WiFi Inspector can still identify equipment security flaws.

I believe that the UI Settings in relation to the WiFi Inspector have been reduced, I'm sure there used to be more setting options and there is Nada even in the geek:area (for those that know the bloody secret handshake) for the WiFi Inspector.  I do feel it is likely to still report weaknesses, but not having any (from previous scans), I don't know if that is correct.

Overall for me the UI in general has gone to hell in a hand basket, unintuitive, dumbed down so much as to be very poor (read useless).  Even with geek:area (for those that know the bloody secret handshake), that is a one level monster where you are in danger of RSI scrolling to find what it is you are looking for.

Offline Leonard57

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 12:23:28 PM »
Another run of Wi-Fi Inspector late yesterday evening, but this time I made sure ALL my devices were ON and ACTIVE before setting the Inspector into motion. Results: all devices accounted for and none in the UNKNOWN list. Only odd thing about the results is the previously UNKNOWN devices are listed as having addresses that do not match the addresses in my Bell wireless modem/router. Not going to worry about that.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 05:37:20 PM »
Another run of Wi-Fi Inspector late yesterday evening, but this time I made sure ALL my devices were ON and ACTIVE before setting the Inspector into motion. Results: all devices accounted for and none in the UNKNOWN list.

Only odd thing about the results is the previously UNKNOWN devices are listed as having addresses that do not match the addresses in my Bell wireless modem/router.

Not going to worry about that.

I think that it retains al of the previous scan data and assigned IP addresses are very likely to differ from before as (I guess) they would be assigned dynamically.

As I have mentioned the UI keeps bloody changing and I'm sure there was an option to actually remove old data (but it had to be done one by one) as I actually did this previously to run a scan that wasn't going to be tainted (or show) old data.  What I don't know is if this was intentional or if it was/is a bug.

I think that now that you have effectively done a scan which is clear of any WiFi issues you're good to go.