Author Topic: How well Avast AV can scan file whose types are unknown?  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Carbonaria

How well Avast AV can scan file whose types are unknown?
« on: August 24, 2020, 06:11:07 AM »
Kinda new here, so i hope i'm posting this on the right section, if i am not i apologize.

Okay, at this point after using Avast for years and not having any considerable issue, i think it's okay to say that i rely on Avast AV to deal with any average threat you could found here and then. Of course i'm a cautious person and not one of those who pushes the AV to its limit, but i do have my fair amount of adventuring on the wilderness of internet and so far it's good.

That said here comes the question, i do trust that Avast could deal with average viruses and malwares embedded on the .exes and other popular formats but, how trustworthy Avast could be while scanning files with uncommon types of files like .woff ones? and unkown file types?

I mean, sometimes we buy a software or download a freeware who doens't require installation, if you are a programmer or a developer of something it could also be a resource, an script, an a font... And so i realized that while those kind of files are not executables by themselves they could be embedded with malware and could inject malicious code onto the software you are using to do nasty stuff with your PC.
Realized then that the risk could go a way up when you are using an a not so famous freeware who have its own executable which could alied with an malware embedded file do some scary things here an there.

So that is my question, Avast could effectively deal with malware embedded files? How are the real chances of infection from the situation i described? How well the Avast AV scan files with uncommon and unknown file types? How are the chances that after the malware file was executed it would be caught in the memmory before doing any major damage?

I could be concerned over nothing here, i know, but i would really appreaciate that someone with more knowledge than i could explain better those concepts.
Thanks for your time.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: How well Avast AV can scan file whose types are unknown?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 07:11:21 PM »
No Anti Malware/virus software is 100% protective all the time.
I've used Avast since early 2000's and have not had a virus or malware infect any of my machines while having avast installed.
If you go looking for trouble don't be surprised if you find it. ;)