Author Topic: Log File Cleanup [Help!]  (Read 3431 times)

Offline ongyg65

Log File Cleanup [Help!]
« on: August 26, 2020, 10:55:10 AM »
Avast put 10GB's worth of log files into my ProgramData folder. When I searched for ways to get rid of ancient logs (some dating back to 2018) I was told to use the Maintenance panel on the help website, but there was no such thing in the settings of the UI, neither can I find a setting to clear them.
And when I tried to manually delete them, a number cannot be deleted as Avast is still using them.

Is there a way to reliably clear old logs that I no longer need, or am I forced to keep them?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Log File Cleanup [Help!]
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 11:10:52 AM »
This is now hidden in the Avast geek:area, AvastUI > Menu > Settings > click the Search - type geek:area and enter and scroll down (forever) until you find it, see attached image (click to expand).

I bloody hate this undocumented settings area, a pain in the backside.

That said 10GB seems excessive though, are you running lots of scans ?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 11:23:27 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

Re: Log File Cleanup [Help!]
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 12:36:59 PM »
Has it really changed that much?

The same options were available under AVAST's general Settings > Maintenance in much older versions. The default was to delete scan logs over 30 days old and temporary ones over 24hrs old. From the screenshot it looks like that is still the same.

10GB of logs is a hell of a lot but if they date back over two years and not being deleted I suppose you could accumulate that amount of data but it seems a bit odd. To start with the default settings would have to have been altered. Why would anyone do that? If AVAST is not deleting the logs every 30 days then that's a problem which needs explaining too.