Author Topic: Avast Blocks CleanMyMac app  (Read 17583 times)

Offline megalodon99

Avast Blocks CleanMyMac app
« on: August 27, 2020, 05:06:37 PM »
Hi, (Seen on my Dad's computer)
Everything was fine untill this morning when my father decide to use Clean MyMac but he can't open it , I though that it can be linked to Avast and as we
uninstall and put the icon in the trash, Avast tells me: "MacOS blocked threat: PuAgent-AZ (PUP).

Offline Dusti_Jawa

Re: Avast Blocks CleanMyMac app
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 05:34:44 PM »
Hello megalodon99,

A better way to handle a security suite that's blocking software you trust enough to run would be to add an exception into Avast Security, so that it doesn't block the previously mentioned software. To add the exception open Avast Security Dashboard, click on the settings cog in the top right, then click on preferences. Along the top of the new window you will see different icons, click the one that says core shields. Under file shield you would add the application in question. However before adding any file to this exception list, you must know that it isn't a malicious file as the Avast Security suite will not block this file after it has been added.

Offline ScottyB

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 04:21:57 PM »
What you suggested does not work.  You can't Make Avast ByPass Clean My Mac.  There is a glitch in AVAST new software that will not let the user do this.  CLEAN MYMAC  is aware of the issue and has contacted AVAST about the issue in hopes of it being fixed in the next update.  For now they suggest deleting Avast if you want to use CLEAN MY MAC and reinstall the software.  Then CLEAN MY MAC WORKS FINE
:)

Offline Dusti_Jawa

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 05:02:54 PM »
Okay, gotcha. I’m glad that the two companies are working together to get you a solution!

Offline wouterg

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 09:49:05 PM »
Is there already a acceptable solution for using Cleanmymac?
Or is avast trying to promote their own "Avast Cleanup" programm?

Offline megalodon99

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 11:41:47 PM »
Hi (sorry for the late replying)

It seems that after two days, that Avast had stopped blocking Clean my Mac

thanks for your help ;)

Offline perhildebrant

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 05:54:01 PM »
HELP please:
STILL problem with even a temporary uninstall of Avast Security/Avast Premium Security”?

The apparent NEW INTERFACE of AVAST has NONE of the menu wordings in PREFERENCES that finally permit (lead to) an uninstall, consequently the suggestions so far given in the threads do not seem to work. Would be grateful for any help, thanks!

Offline isabelle.guerry

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 08:43:53 PM »
Same problem here, I reinstalled CCleaner, then Avast to no avail.
Uninstalled Avast...

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 10:41:25 AM »
Hello,

thanks for reporting this, we are escalating your concerns.

For now I suggest going to Preferences, Core Shields tab, and in File Shield part uncheck "Report potentially unwanted programs"; this should work around the issue.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline jakub.bednar

• Avast team
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 01:25:41 PM »
Hello dear customers,

We apologise for the inconvenience. We understand that Clean My Mac is a favourite macOS application.

Unfortunately, Clean My Mac was marked as a deceptor by a 3rd party company that we trust - AppEsteem. Information about the AppEsteem project can be found at https://customer.appesteem.com/Home/DeceptorFix. The list of all deceptor applications with details on what they are doing wrong can be found on AppEsteem's website: https://customer.appesteem.com/deceptors.

It is now up to Clean My Mac to resolve the issues found by AppEsteem and get cleared from the list. If you really want to use the application for the time being, the best course of action is to add it to FileShield exceptions or switch off PUP scanning for FileShield. Both can be done in Avast Preferences - Core Shields.

Best regards,

Jakub

Offline jeroen.w

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 09:47:46 PM »
Please provide clearer instructions on how to add exception and switch of PUP scans. I have tried adding these myself and it is not working. Looks like avast is trying to take out the competition here - how convenient Cleanmymac doesn't work all of a sudden! It's worked for years! Without a clearer solution I will have to uninstall Avast.

Offline stevegoldfield

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 08:45:19 PM »
I have this same issue. MacPaw gave me the temporary solution of creating an exception in Avast. However, Avast no longer launches, either. And since I cannot launch it, I cannot uninstall it or add an exception. What a mess.

Offline dfrey

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 03:49:10 PM »
Looks like the reason for blocking is fairly harmless and really not deserving of blocking...perhaps just a warning?

"The app does not fix any free scan results for free when malware scan results are found."

::)    In fact, as a paying customer of CleanMyMac (and Avast) I feel that the Avast block is unwarranted and should be allowed to be excepted. I really think this is an Avast issue, not a CleanMyMac issue.

How is this a "threat" anyway?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:54:36 PM by dfrey »

Offline Dennis46

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 04:19:15 PM »
According to AppEsteem, the issue has been resolved on Aug 23, 2020 for CleanMyMac Version 4.6.11.  If you have this version, then Avast is the problem.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 05:34:58 PM »
well, CleanMyMac was added to the list on 23.8.2020... The issue hasn't been resolved yet - at least AppEsteem DB doesn't reflect it.
Quality is also a feature.