Author Topic: Request to turn off Avast services temporarily  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Private_User

• Frustrated
Request to turn off Avast services temporarily
« on: August 28, 2020, 03:52:01 AM »
I am doing web development work on a Mac. Avast is interfering with my work with too many false positives. I am wasting so much time that I am considering uninstalling it.

Is there a simple way to turn AVAST off globally while I am doing that kind of work, then turn it on again? I can't find one. This is really driving me nuts. I have tried adding exceptions but it is not possible to add everything required. I cannot request a program white-list and wait days every single time I use npm to globally install a common tool like json server.

I understand that this means AVAST may not be suitable for my use case, but if there was a global OFF switch that could be used while I am working it would solve the problem. I have used other antivirus suites in the past that let you turn services off and do so on a timer. This can be really useful for developing and testing. I understand the risks but I need a tool that lets me work.

Offline Private_User

• Frustrated
Re: Request to turn off Avast services temporarily
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 04:19:58 AM »
I found out how to deal with the current problem. It was my fault, not AVAST, I forgot to use SUDO in the command line and the command was blocked by the OS. but I would still like to be able to press a button and turn avast off for a short time though. Then I can test if a problem is due to avast or something else. It is a handy feature. You could protect people who may not realise the ramifications by turning the feature off by default and warning them to only turn it on if they understand what they are doing.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 05:10:31 AM »

Offline Private_User

• Frustrated
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 05:49:37 AM »
Thanks for the direction to the Mac forum. I had seen it.

From the number of responses to searches to temporarily turn off/uninstall avast I would think that many people would be interested in a feature like this regardless of OS.

If avast will not consider such a request then I won't waste my time anymore. It will be what it is. Just think it would be useful for a significant sector of avast's market.