Author Topic: Backdoor.Berbew.F virus  (Read 4783 times)

RSmith

Backdoor.Berbew.F virus
« on: September 24, 2006, 07:53:07 PM »
I have the avast version 4.7 professional on my home computer that has Win XP OS. I ran another anti-virus check and it shows that I have Backdoor.Berbew.F virus on my computer. I have e-mailed you guys concerning this and still have not gotten any reply. How come my avast 4.7 didnt find this? I have done all current updates. This was my last hope to get some answers. Thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Backdoor.Berbew.F virus
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 07:58:22 PM »
The people from alwil wil only respond if needed if you have send in a suspected malware file.

I suggest you submit the file to JOTTI and let us know the result.

RSmith

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 08:00:42 PM »
who's JOTTI?

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 08:08:59 PM »
Hi RSmith,

No AV will detect 100% of malware. If you find a virus that is not detected by avast!, you will need to submit it for analysis. As Eddy says, the people from Alwil do not usually respond to the sender, and new samples are taking longer than would be desirable to enter avast's definition file.

The avast! team have told us they are investing in improving how submitted viruses are dealt with and clearing up the apparent backlog. This is certainly a weakness in avast! at the moment.

We've been told the situation will improve. Let's hope so!
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 08:13:07 PM »
Hi RSmith,

Here is the technical info on that malware:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojpadodorj.html

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Spiritsongs

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 08:20:38 PM »
 :)  Hi R :

Jotti is a "multi engine online virus scanner", which is used
     to determine if the suspected "virus" is being detected by
     other antivirus programs; however, the "scanner" at
     www.virustotal.com/en/indexx.html is considered more
     appropiate if using a Windows Operating System.
     Another regular "Helper" on these forums said Avast
     receives around 4,000 requests a week on suspected
     "viruses", so that it a lot to "process" in a short period of
     time.
     And your "Backdoor" is more a "trojan" than it is a virus;
     therefore, it would help to have a program that "specializes"
     in detecting & quarantining TROJANS, such as the good &
     FREE "Ewido" from www.ewido.net/en ( reverts to the FREE
    ver AFTER the "trial" ends ) and/or the FREE version of
    "SUPERantispyware" from www.superantispyware.com .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 09:01:12 PM »
I have the avast version 4.7 professional on my home computer that has Win XP OS. I ran another anti-virus check and it shows that I have Backdoor.Berbew.F virus on my computer. I have e-mailed you guys concerning this and still have not gotten any reply.

What email address did you use ?
What avast would like is a sample of the malware. If you are not getting a virus warning that you believe is a new, undetected virus then if you can zip and password protect ('virus', will do) the suspect file and send it to virus @ avast.com (no spaces), or send from the chest (after adding it to the User Files section of the chest).

Give a brief outline of the problem (possibly a link to this thread), the fact that you believe it to be a either a new, undetected virus and include the password in the body of the email. Some info on the avast version and VPS number (see about avast {right click avast icon}) will also help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

RSmith

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 09:38:00 PM »
I can't zip and send it to you from the avast scanner tool like they suggest. I have a firewall called sygate which has a free virus scan called symantec and this is when the virus or trogan showed up. I also went to pcpitstop.com and ran their free virus scan and it showed up there as well. It is in my C:\windows\system32\Cqmmoq32.exe file
The symantec program showed it as Backdoor.Berbew.F and Pcpitstop.com's virus scan showed it as Bck/webber.P Virus
I tried my first e-mail request using the technical support@avast by right clicking on my avast but could not send it via express. I used my msn e-mail to send it to technical support@avast. Does this not work? I have no other way to send it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 11:05:31 PM »
I can't zip and send it to you from the avast scanner tool like they suggest.
avast protects all files in the chest from outside influence.

You don't need to zip it if you have it in the chest, Right click on the file when it is in the chest and select email to Alwil Software, avast will encrypt this file so you don't have to zip and password protect it. In the pop-up window enter some brief information and that the sample is an undetected trojan. You may need to set-up the Program Settings, SMTP details (see image) to be able to send emails to avast, etc. If your email server requires authentication (same as in your email Outlook Express default email account) you need to tick the option and enter the other details.

virus @ avast.com without the quotes is where samples are sent, but support @ avast.com would be fine if you were just enquiring about the problem, however, as you can see it is much faster to use the Forums.

On the next subject, having a second resident anti-virus installed on the same system is not advised as they can conflict and possibly lock-up your system. avast takes care to ensure that conflict doesn't happen and frequently when it detects another anti-virus it will disable some of its elements to avoid conflict.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security