Author Topic: How to help avast analyse performance issues with AV (or any other Avast product  (Read 7056 times)

Offline jaroslav.nix

• Avast team
If you experience any kind (CPU, disk, slowdowns) of performance issue on a computer running Avast  (Windows 8 and above), please try to follow this simple procedure and share the performance logs with us.

- download the configuration file from http://public.avast.com/~nix/users/wpr/avast-profile.wprp to some local folder (this step is not necessary on newest installation of Avast Antivirus)
- launch the elevated command line (cmd.exe as Administrator)
- go to the folder with downloaded file avast-profile.wprp
- start recording via command wpr.exe -start avast-profile.wprp (or with newest Avast Antivirus: wpr.exe -start "c:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\profile.wprp")
- reproduce the performance issue (e.g. if this is happening at the very same time, please "just" wait about a minute or two)
- stop recording via command wpr -stop avast-log.etl
- ZIP the log file avast-log.etl and share it via some cloud storage (google-drive, dropbox, one-drive) or avast FTP sever
- provide a link to the zipped log file via avast forum

Thank you very much, this procedure won't collect any documents or personal information from you computer. It is just recording all process activities running on the PC so we can analyze what is happening during the recording period. If you are interested in the analysis yourself, your can use the tool "Windows Performance Analyzer" from "Windows Assessment Toolkit" (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install).

note: if you are running older OS (e.g. Windows 7) you can install the older version of Windows Performance Toolkit (http://public.avast.com/~nix/users/xperf/xperf_x86.msi for 32-bit OS, or http://public.avast.com/~nix/users/xperf/xperf_x64.msi for 64-bit OS) and use different start ("xperf.exe -on DiagEasy+DISPATCHER+Profile -stackwalk profile+CSwitch+ReadyThread -start avast -f \avast.etl -on 1492D477-3272-5C0C-D91A-C156CC3CD206") and stop (xperf.exe -stop -stop avast -d avast-log.etl) commands in the procedure above.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 09:44:48 AM by jaroslav.nix »

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
I have uploaded an avast-etl logfile in a zip file name to the Avast FTP server "manofkent1949@gmail.com.zip"

This has been sent because Avast Free 22.5 is slowing my Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop.  Asyn suggested I send it to you at ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/

From Avast forum user loungehake
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.1, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline jaroslav.nix

• Avast team
Hi loungehake, thank you for your report. I have checked your logs and I don't see any CPU or disk consumption by Avast processes there. The disk is mostly idle and the CPU is consumed by the Firefox and Speedyfox processes. Could you please provide more details, what is slowed down (which task / operation), how much is it slowed and ideally please provide two performance logs, one for the situation with Avast installed and second one without Avast installed. Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I have uploaded an avast-etl logfile in a zip file name to the Avast FTP server "mano*k**t*******.zip"

This has been sent because Avast Free 22.5 is slowing my Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop.  Asyn suggested I send it to you at ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/

From Avast forum user loungehake

Now that Avast have received your upload, you should modify your post to remove exposure to that email address as I have done in the quote.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security