Author Topic: Unwanted subscription renewal  (Read 3518 times)

Offline menes

Unwanted subscription renewal
« on: September 03, 2020, 06:29:10 PM »
I had cancelled the automatic renewal through Paypal and I was very badly surprised to find that I got charged 70 euros for renewal.

1. Where did you find my card? I bought this product from Paypal.
2. If my card is stored somewhere I cannot find it to delete it.
3. I contacted my bank notifying them for possible fraud.

I requested a refund (twice, because at first I didn't even have an order, which is normal since I didn't place one)

As per GDPR regulations where can I place a request to get all my stored data (Right of access by the data subject) and how can I request a full deletion? (Right to erasure (‘right to be forgotten’))

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Unwanted subscription renewal
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 07:40:43 PM »
You don't say what Avast Product that you had ?

You actually needed to cancel it through Avast as they would be the ones submitting the payment request to PayPal. 
Orders and Renewals FAQ - https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB24#artTitle.  Scroll down to the "How do I cancel automatic renewal of my Avast subscription?" option.

If your PayPal uses your credit card as a payment source, check the 'Bank accounts and cards' in your Summary section. If it appears there then that is how payment is made, but don't be confused, it isn't Avast that has your CC details, that is PayPal debiting your CC the Avast program renewal charge/request.

I don't know where you requested the refund twice as you didn't say ?
But having tried to get a refund via PayPal, that could actually make things more complex.

Before shooting the messenger, I'm an Avast user like yourself.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline menes

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 06:43:10 PM »
I have disabled the recurring payment from Paypal, this payment was directly to Avast.

Now, I don't remember buying directly from Avast so that's why I'm asking how this order has charged my credit card.

In any case I requested a refund and it's in progress.

The questions however remains because I didn't find any reference under the support page:

As per GDPR

1. Where and how can I request the stored data
2. Where and how can I request the removal of the data. Is the "Delete account" enough for this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 10:44:21 PM »
Unless you purchased it from another source, there is no way to purchase from PayPal, you only make payment through PayPal.

I have said how this payment would be charged to your Credit Card in my previous reply.  Regardless of what it is that you purchase and where you purchased it from, lets say eBay, then PayPal handles the payment to the supplier and debits YOUR Credit Card if that is your how you have setup your PayPal account.

So where did you purchase Avast ?

As an Avast User there are things I simply can't answer and the latter is one such instance.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 06:28:15 AM »
The questions however remains because I didn't find any reference under the support page:

As per GDPR

1. Where and how can I request the stored data
2. Where and how can I request the removal of the data. Is the "Delete account" enough for this?
See: https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/GDPR-FAQ/
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 06:56:04 PM »
Now, I don't remember buying directly from Avast so that's why I'm asking how this order has charged my credit card.
You did not specify which seller appears exactly on your account statement for this credit card payment.
Avast?

Offline bhangrasue

Re: Unwanted subscription
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 03:29:38 AM »
I subscribed for a mult device subscription for $54.99 AUD & was charged also for a single use subscription for $47.88. I have been trying to get refunds back as I got fed up with Customer service & cancelled both. No refunds since 5 August 2020. Over a month. They reckon have but can't prove and now want a letter from my bank to say all good to make payment to my bank account. I used a credit card. Am so fed yp

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Unwanted subscription
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 12:59:55 PM »
I subscribed for a mult device subscription for $54.99 AUD & was charged also for a single use subscription for $47.88. I have been trying to get refunds back as I got fed up with Customer service & cancelled both. No refunds since 5 August 2020. Over a month. They reckon have but can't prove and now want a letter from my bank to say all good to make payment to my bank account. I used a credit card. Am so fed yp

Hi,

According to our system, on Aug/02/2020 you placed two orders, one for Avast SecureLine VPN MD and one for Avast Cleanup Multidevice.
You have since then requested a refund but never received the money into your bank account/credit card. I can see that we did process you refund request but I also noticed that eventually (after a few weeks) we received a notification that says that the refund failed. According to Digital River, this is due to the receiving bank rejecting the payment. Digital River via us are still waiting for the letter which you need to obtain from your card issuer (your bank - the one who issued the credit card not Mastercard). Could you kindly provide us with this letter so that we can proceed and help you obtain your refund. I do understand that this has unfortuanly taken longer than normal, but this is due to the refund being rejected. Please feel free to PM me once you have emailed us the letter (or if you need further clarification) as I would like to help you in resolving this issue.