Author Topic: How to temporarily turn off avast?  (Read 6926 times)

Mr Mousetrap

How to temporarily turn off avast?
« on: September 26, 2006, 04:07:45 AM »
I am setting up a Canon Pixma MP780 printer. The instructions say to close virus checkers,prior to installing the software. How do I turn off avast temporarily? Thanks

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: How to temporarily turn off avast?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 04:35:46 AM »
I always ignore those instructions and have yet to have an install problem because of it.

However, if you feel you need to stop avast for the install then right click on the avast icon (the blue ball) in the system tray and the select the menu item "Stop On-access Protection".

Don't forget to use the same method to start avast again after your install is completed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to temporarily turn off avast?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 03:19:56 PM »
I would also recommend you DON'T close AVs during program installs, what is it that they are doing or trying to hide. If it is nothing untoward then there should be absolutely no reason to do this. The only exception to this would be if it were another security program and even then there would have to be a good reason given.

I have a Cannon Pixma iP4000 and I installed the software without disabling avast. However, as Alan mentions if you absolutely feel you have to I would suggest that the Standard Shield would be the only resident scanner effected, so you could pause or terminate that and re-enable after your done.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security