Author Topic: Smart Scan results sticks; (Smart Scan completes), stuck at 3rd report 'next'  (Read 2931 times)

Offline kr_lindstrom

Does anyone know about this or seen it happen?
Avast Smart Scan progresses normally, scanning for malware and completes all 4 steps, but the results won't proceed any further than the 3rd step of 4 steps (of displaying the results) upon pressing the 'next'.
Another words, the scans and checks themselves complete, but the results stop at 'Viruses and Malware', and won't go any further, OR complete.

This just started happening recently.  Does it the same on several of my computers.
The 'next' button used to work through all 4 steps, and I had to 'fix' or 'skip' at some steps; and then last step would say 'finish' IIRC.
- can't get to 'Finish' now...
Once I get to third step, which is the virus scan results, the next button is unresponsive, and can't proceed any further (cant get to step 4, 'smart home risks' results).
Can't 'Finish'.  Can't start a new Smart Scan.  Have to restart computer to again access the starting page of AVAST, the one that displays the 'Start Smart Scan' button.  [I assume killing the process or closing AVAST would do the same as rebooting computer, but not checked it that way].

Once I run a smart scan (after a computer reboot), it again gets stuck at the same place, and cannot run another smart scan until I restart it again.
The 4 steps I refer to are 'Browser threats' 'Outdated apps' 'Viruses and malware' and 'Smart home risks'.
All 4 show progress and get their applicable check-mark or exclamation point; it is just the results that hang beyond step 3.
(It show 'No malware found, Good for you!', but the 'Next' button no longer will progress the results routine).

I tried both letting it sit until after finishing all steps, before clicking any 'next's, and also tried immediately clicking each 'next' as it came up.

It seems to have been doing this since about 2 AVAST updates ago, and one or two Windows updates?...
Not sure, but maybe a few weeks now.

Any advice, or similar experiences?
Sincerely, Mr K L
(first post! hope it's OK)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Update to the latest version (20.7.2425): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=237544.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline kr_lindstrom

Thanks, but it is already that version:
20.7.2425 (build 20.7.5568.590)
Just checking it again to confirm if it still hangs...

Yup, still hangs at step 3 (of the results process).
So; it does all 4 steps of scanning/testing; but only readouts first 3 results, and cannot exit it.
-closing and reopening the AVAST window (window, not the app) still stuck on the 'see the results' stage, and cannot complete or exit the 'results' stage.
Cannot run or access 'Start Smart Scan' again until computer is rebooted (or probably restarting the AVAST app would accomplish the same).

Thanks for the suggestion, but not the solution here.
(unless you think it is corrupted? maybe a reinstall is in order?)
-if no one else is seeing this issue too, then maybe my next step should be a reinstall...

Mr K L

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Whilst I never run the Smart Scan other than as a result of queries in the forum.  My Smart Scan in this version was perhaps the fastest that I can remember and aside from the cr4p reported in step 3 is finished without issue.

I would suggest an Avast Repair first, AvastUI > Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting > Repair App followed by a restart.

In all honesty (once you have run it once) I find the Smart Scan is more of a tool to promote/sell other avast paid products.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline kr_lindstrom

THANK YOU @DavidR
I will try that when I get a chance.
I agree, it is mostly promotion, although I was relying that it is doing some virus scanning for me.
The only time I run it is when it is looking back at me after the occasional updates...

I actually have no need to run it twice in one day, let alone even once a week;
The only reason I ended up here was that it alerted for an update, and after installing it, I usually take advantage of the latest improvements and definitions, and run a quick scan while I am there.
Only when it got stuck, did I try to start it again from the beginning, that I found that it also would not 'reset' to the beginning screen (until it has finished with it's promotional reports, which at that point, are stuck permanently at step 4- until reboot).

Since it is my primary AV, I wanted everything to work properly, so that I can assume that the background processes are also working properly.

Mr K L

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.
Whilst it does actually scan for viruses, etc.

With a resident on-access antivirus like avast, the need for frequent on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part the on-demand scan is going to be scanning files that would be otherwise be dormant or inert. If they were active files then the on-access file system shield would be scanning them before being created, modified, opened or executed.

I used to have avast set to do a scheduled weekly Quick scan, set at a time and day that I know the computer will be on. But I have ceased this practice for some time now, based in the above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline kr_lindstrom

Didn't help, repair didn't change anything.
Tried it before I left last night.  Thanks for the suggestion though.
I have a lot of work up on my screen right now, but will try a reinstall later sometime.

The main concern is if this is broken, is everything else functioning normally...

Incidentally, I think the last step used to be a 'PC issues or performance' step (for their premium product); but it runs those unpaid scans anyway, and have to choose 'skip' or buy it, during the results reports in order to finish and exit the smart scan...
Right now, I see it appears to be a new product promoted there at the 4th step position; it is now labeled 'Smart home risk'.
I don't remember that before, and maybe that is a change, and maybe it is buggy.
He has a security camera system here [remotely viewable; Ethernet connected], and maybe it gets stuck on that...

Incidentally, it is not 'frozen', in can be ran through the results pages as many times as I want; it just won't 'finish' or proceed past the 3rd results report step...

Mr K L
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 08:25:25 PM by kr_lindstrom »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.

Since the Smart Scan is an on-demand scan like the others, it is independent of the on-access scanners.

Most of your other point is just one of the reasons I rarely run on-demand scans Smart or otherwise :)

Offline kr_lindstrom

Well, I just uninstalled and reinstalled it.
Waiting for install to finish...

I just learned the difference between Microsoft Essentials, and Windows Defender.
I got a warning to pay for a license after a year pasted on this new computer, and that is when I installed AVAST.
I thought only one of the Microsoft products had any real-time AV (and wasn't about to pay for any Microsoft product)
If Defender has real-time AV, I will just run with that...

Well ok, this is interesting; was not expecting much, but it did fix it - but
The broken step is gone too, it is now back to what I remembered it being, the 4th step is now back to being called 'Advanced issues'!

So this poses 2 questions - where did the 'Smart home risks' 4th step even come from? and how did it get activated? (and where did the advanced issues go to)...
Could the camera security system on Ethernet been involved with the issue (of AVAST getting stuck)?
I don't normally change any software from it's default settings, and never customize AV or important windows settings  unless there is a specific problem where the vendor or verifiable professional advise it, and I understand fully.
(ie, I don't 'play' with settings).

In the meantime I turned Windows Defender on after I uninstalled AVAST, and ran an update and scan.
It DID detect a PUP and I removed it.
It was PUA:Win32/PassShow
(I reinstalled AVAST after I did that.)

Could that have any possible relation to the AVAST showing 'Smart home risks' as the fourth step stage?
It is the only thing changed between uninstalling and reinstalling AVAST, other than disk cleaning I do each reboot.
[Defender still on AFAIK, and know I should 'passivate' one of these, right?]

Has anyone heard of (or seen) this ''Smart home risks' appear in the AVAST program, anywhere??

Mr K L

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I have only ever with the recent versions of the Avast Free version and Smart Scan (when I run it in connection to forum questions) I have only see three Scans in the main window.  So it looks like the Sub Headings in the Smart (I hate this word) Scan have changed.

One thing about this PUPs Potentially Unwanted Programs, are one persons useful tool and another persons unwanted program.  To determine this you actually have to know what the program is that is causing it and Defender appears to be very light (to non-existent) on details.

Incidentally scanning for PUPs is disabled by default on avast scans so you would have to enable that option.

I don't really know of the Smart Home Risks, but grasping at straws would be smart devices that you have in your home, Alexa, lighting, heating, refrigerator, etc.  In what is known as IOT (or Internet Of Things), smart things connected to your network that can be remotely controlled by app by the user.

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Smart Scan results sticks; (Smart Scan completes), stuck at 3rd report 'next'
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 12:47:09 AM »
Could it be a sales pitch for Avast Omni ?
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Smart Scan results sticks; (Smart Scan completes), stuck at 3rd report 'next'
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 02:06:40 AM »
Could it be a sales pitch for Avast Omni ?

That was something I was thinking about too ;)