Author Topic: Selectively stop a notification  (Read 2529 times)

Offline mijewen

Selectively stop a notification
« on: July 18, 2020, 04:38:24 PM »
I periodically get this message

"You've connected to a new network " <network name>

The message overlays other things in my screen, and serves no purpose, so its only value is nuisance value.
My computer is at the limit of the reach of the house's wireless router, and my connection goes up and down a lot, which I imagine is the reason for the messages.  However, I'm not interested in scanning my trusted home network several times a day.
Is there a way I can selectively switch off this notification?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline mijewen

Re: Selectively stop a notification
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 04:49:40 PM »
Thanks for the direction, Asyn, but it didn't do it for me, and after many, many more alerts to a "New Network", I would really like to get rid of this message.
I went to the geek area as directed, and searched for "network".  The search did not yield a result, so I scrolled through the entire list of options, but I didn't find anything that seemed promising - how to switch off this "New network" message.
Could you give me a more targeted instruction?
I don't often take my PC out of the house, but I may, at some future date, connect to a different network, so if the message could be switched off only for  my known, home network, that would be great.  If that's not possible, then I'd like to just get rid of the message.
Thanks.

Offline strakl

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 05:07:59 PM »
What in the geek area didn't work for you? Perhaps you should give a bit more details on what you've changed, try rebooting the machine after the change as well.

Offline mijewen

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 05:53:27 PM »
Well, as the message concerns having found a new network (actually the same old one, but it went down and came up again), I would have expected to find "network" in the search - but the search was without result.  So I read down the entire page, with headings of "Update", "Troubleshooting", "Virus Scans", "Core shields" (mostly Mail and Web shields), "Virus Chest" (Nothing there except the size of the chest), "Firewall" (I imagine this is what would see the new network, but the only items ticked are "Show notifications about newly created Block rules" (I don't know whhat that means) and "Enable automatic profile switching", and Raw Sockets are enabled.  "SandBox", "Data Shredder", "Do not disturb" - and none of those suggest to me an interest in my local network.
Bear in mind that I'm a user, not an internetworking tech, and just like many people who drive a car but have no idea how it works, there are many aspects of virus protection of which I am totally ignorant.  I have spent my life as a tech support on certain aspects of computing (HyperChannel inter-mainframe network, tape backup, various peripheral types, and my last few years in RAIDs), but I never ventured into the world of Internetworking.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 09:15:41 PM »
@ mijewen
Look in the regular Avast Settings > Protection > WiFi Inspector.
See attached image of my settings and I haven't had a notification for a very long time.  Probably since I unchecked the second option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 06:54:22 AM »
Uncheck "Enable automatic profile switching".
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline mijewen

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 01:58:15 AM »
DavidR, I didn't know about that menu, and hadn't found it.  From the wording of the setting, I feel pretty sure that is what was required.
Thanks for that!

Offline mijewen

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 02:00:53 AM »
Thanks Asyn,  I want to try DavidR's suggestion first - it looks promising - but I'll keep yours on the back burner in case David's doesn't work.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 02:28:08 AM »
DavidR, I didn't know about that menu, and hadn't found it.  From the wording of the setting, I feel pretty sure that is what was required.
Thanks for that!

You're welcome.

If that doesn't do it (it should be quick to notice if it is doing the job), otherwise try the firewall setting Asyn gave.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 06:53:46 AM »
Thanks Asyn,  I want to try DavidR's suggestion first - it looks promising - but I'll keep yours on the back burner in case David's doesn't work.
You're welcome.