Author Topic: Unknown User on my PC  (Read 1531 times)

Offline mijewen

Unknown User on my PC
« on: September 11, 2020, 04:28:41 PM »
A few weeks ago, I noticed that under c:\Users, there was my name as usual, but there was also Alasdair King - as a user on my PC.  The directories under his name were empty, so I deleted him, did an Internet search for his name - but there are a LOT of them, and unable to do anything else, put it out of my mind.
I have recently upgraded to a paid version of Avast (the cheapest option, as I don't have a smart-phone), and it ran an analysis and told me about a number of suspect files.  I have lost the list now, and I don't know how to get it back, but I remember seeing
Users\Aladsair King\Pictures (didn't record the actual file name) and ...
Users\Aladsair King\Documents\...

When I search for these directories, they appear not to be there - but apparently Avast saw them.

Please advise.  I'm a little concerned.

Edit : I should have mentioned - I have no idea who Alasdair King is.  I don't know the name at all.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 04:52:17 PM by mijewen »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Unknown User on my PC
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 05:20:40 PM »
I have lost the list now, and I don't know how to get it back ............
Why dont you just run a new scan and take a screenshot

Offline mijewen

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 05:31:24 PM »
It wasn't the result of me running a scan.  If it was, the last scan results are still available.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 09:06:35 PM »
It wasn't the result of me running a scan.  If it was, the last scan results are still available.

Running another scan is likely to be the quickest way to confirm if A) everything is gone and B) if they are found then you would have more detailed information.

I honestly can't recall if Avast runs a scan after installation, it is a very long time since I did a clean install of avast.

I just wonder if there was a Smart, or Ransomware Scan, etc. run or as part of your settings. 
You could check the AvastUI > Menu > Settings > Protection > Virus Scans - Scan history.
The Smart Scan may not be in that history, but also check the C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report that should also show Shield and Virus Scan info, the Smart Scan report file is called Viruses & Malware.txt.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline strakl

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 09:28:23 PM »
If you can't see the folders, but avast saw them, just check show hidden folders in your explorer, maybe you'll get some more hints as to what's going on, but it seems a bit strange.

Offline mijewen

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 05:59:56 PM »
I had already made all directories visible in Windows Explorer (that's the way I have it all the time), so it came as a real surprise when Avast popped up and said that Alasdair King was all over my PC.  They must have seen the info somewhere.  At that time, I had already deleted all references to him that I could see - the empty User directories.

I believe that the info I saw was a pop-up, more than likely to encourage me to buy some other package, but that pop-up must have been the result of some back-ground analysis.  Of what, I have no idea, but Avast didn't suck "Alasdair King" out of thin air!   I know that when a file is deleted, it is still there, but its directory link is broken so it can't be easily found.  Recuva can find it, so is it possible that Avast picked up that information from the undeleted remnant, and fabricated the other directories...
Users\Alasdair King\Pictures
Users\Alasdair King\Documents
... and several others that I didn't note, so they could push a new product on me?  I remember there was a button to resolve these issues, but I didn't push it - but if I had, would it have said "To resolve, pay us $$$"?

I have run another scan, but the same info did not result from the scan.  I wish I had taken a screen-shot - but I didn't.
I also did a search of the entire C: drive for "Alasdair King", but it didn't find anything.

As I mentioned, I have recently moved from free Avast to a year's subscription, and my only reason for doing that was to stop the constant stream of adverts - but paying didn't work, so when the subscription ends, I'll go back to the free version.  I only have a single PC - no phone - so I don't get a lot of advantage from a paid subscription - especially as it doesn't stop the advertising. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 09:01:51 PM »
Check the Avast UI > Menu > Settings > General - and I think Personal Privacy, etc. there should be settings there, uncheck those you don't want/need.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security