Author Topic: A very wierd thing in avast  (Read 1755 times)

Offline strakl

A very wierd thing in avast
« on: September 12, 2020, 05:53:43 PM »
Hello all!
Yesterday I just upgraded my avast AV to beta because i decided to help test it for accessibility issues.
I did a smart scan like usual just to be sure, and it showed a new section, which it never showed before, performance issues, which, i think it's only in AVG smart scan but don't count me on that.
So, I clicked skip for performance issues since i didn't want to put the programs to sleep that it said me to, because i needed some of them, it pointed some other issues, but yeah.
Today, I'm still running the beta, and when it did a smart scan, there is no more performance issues section.
Now, this problem is not big, but it just seems strange to me, i double checked if it shows up but it won't show up in the scan anymore. Any clues?
Regards,
Urh

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: A very wierd thing in avast
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 09:07:29 PM »
Use care when using the term "accessibility issues" as what you are describing isn't an "accessibility issue," which in regard to Avast antivirus is accessibility issues, such as colour blindness, or blindness, etc. and using software to cater for that.  Something that has been explained to you before.

What you are doing is just called beta testing ensuring that it runs as expected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline strakl

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 09:21:11 PM »
I didn't want it to sound like that, I'm not a native english speaker so perhaps i scrued up my writing. Anyway, what i ment to say is that i just upgraded to the beta to test for accessibility buggs, because well, i'm a blindy so you know, i pretty much know what that is, but i wrote it in a wrong way, so then you thought the issue i explained is an accessibility one, which, no it's not. I just want to know why, and how did this even happen, because now that performance category from the smart scan is gone.
I sincerely hope this makes my mmessage a bit more clearer.
Regards,
Urh

Offline strakl

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 09:34:53 PM »
I just ran a few more smart scan tests and that thing is not there anymore, but i swear that it was there yesterday, and nothing has changed, but the thing is the performance area was not here before, it appeared and now it dis appeared for some very wierd reason.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 01:11:37 AM »
What might have previously been called Performance Issues in the Smart Scan, would now appear to be called Advanced Issues and that is in the regular avast 20.7.2425 (build 20.7.5568.591) version.  Since I'm not running the beta release, I can't speak for that only that it has been like that for a little while. 

Personally I have only found the Advanced Issues to be a vehicle to promote, sell other avast paid products.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 01:13:16 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline strakl

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 07:24:48 PM »
I guess that is that, although it's wierd that the performance section then just dis appeared, i have a thought that avast fixed the performance issues because i have it set to do an automatic smart scan and it fixed everythhing so perhaps that's why?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 07:52:56 PM »
I guess that is that, although it's wierd that the performance section then just dis appeared, i have a thought that avast fixed the performance issues because i have it set to do an automatic smart scan and it fixed everythhing so perhaps that's why?

I don't believe it disappeared, just changed the name to Advanced Issues, which has I recall correctly been that way for a few updates.

Smart Scan really not worth the hassle, given that it plugs the same thing time after time after time.  So NOT so smart if it can't take the hint.  If and When you Run the NOT so Smart Scan ensure you uncheck the option to run it as a scheduled scan.

Some time ago when the first Smart Scan came out it wasn't too bad as it was actually configurable and when that went out of the window so did its use.  Just periodically Run the WiFi Inspector and the Software Updater.

On demand scans are pretty much redundant in an on-access resident antivirus.

Offline strakl

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 07:56:02 PM »
The performance section was below the advanced issues but i think that it's not showing because there is no issues anymore I would assume, but yeah i guess i don't need a smart scan everyday.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 04:06:10 PM »
The performance section was below the advanced issues but i think that it's not showing because there is no issues anymore I would assume, but yeah i guess i don't need a smart scan everyday.
You really don't need any scan daily. Your AV scans everything all the time as you use your system and would warn you if it found something.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet