Author Topic: Can't Restore to a Restore Point: Avast to blame?  (Read 4347 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't Restore to a Restore Point: Avast to blame?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2020, 10:04:30 PM »
There's a difference between stopping something that might spread a problem if the PC had malware and blocking or making the System Restore option more difficult to enable at all times.
<snip>

Yes there is, but how the hell are you to determine that !!!
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 01:24:48 PM »
Its what AVAST is there for isn't it?

If there's malware detected then of course you want it to prevent spreading so blocking System Restore use and such interference may be justified and helpful. I assume that's what you're thinking AVAST is doing and, indeed, we do not know if it is being done for good reasons or not.

But making it more difficult to use in general, as has happened in the past, that should not be happening. But we're not even sure FredN's (the OP) case that it is AVAST's interference that is causing the problem here.

We've gone a bit off piste in this discussion I think.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 12:50:07 AM by Cluster-Lizard2014 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 05:19:58 PM »
Its what AVAST is there for isn't it?

If there's malware detected then of course you want it to prevent spreading so blocking System Restore use and such interference may be justified and helpful. I assume that's what you're thinking AVAST is doing and, indeed, we do and know if it is being done for good reasons or not.

And here you want to go disabling it ;)

But making it more difficult to use in general, as has happened in the past, that should not be happening. But we're not even sure FredN's (the OP) case that it is AVAST's interference that is causing the problem here.

And we won't know unless he comes back with more details.

We've gone a bit off piste in this discussion I think.

Hardly we are still talking about System Restore and potential problems with its use.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security