Author Topic: Avast Free message about things slowing down my PC  (Read 1130 times)

Offline AZBruno

Avast Free message about things slowing down my PC
« on: September 15, 2020, 10:16:57 PM »
When this notification message pops up, there is a Resolve button. What happens if I click the button? I'm not inclined to do so. Will it try to update me to the full version? Will it just show a list of things that may be of concern? Will it actually change anything? After a timeout the message disappears. How could I get it back again?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Free message about things slowing down my PC
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 10:29:13 PM »
What hampens if I click the brutto? 
A new popup that tell you to buy this and that to fix bla bla bla

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 12:28:26 AM »
Ignore it, its the cost of Free, promotions like this for other avast paid products.  This probably came after running the Smart Scan (NOT) ?

For me this really is a waste of time, I would never purchase under these circumstances. 
Whilst there may well be things slowing your PC  (I feel it is misleading), that has to be in the eye of the beholder, e.g. does your system feel slow ?

If it does there is a myriad of things you can do yourself to help with that, without having to purchase a program to do it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline AZBruno

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 02:44:03 AM »
While I am sure it is advertising, I was really wondering if there would be any useful information provided. In other words, what does Avast think may be slowing my system down. Last thing I want is for it to actually do anything.

I periodically get other such advertising popups, but this one seemed new. It didn't happen with scan so it makes me wonder what Avast is doing while it's just doing protection.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 03:03:58 AM »
A screenshot of any image help us determine the source.

I have to admit I don't see many popup ads/promotions, I don't know if this is down to the length I have been using avast or it ramps down over time.

Mostly the lower 1/5th of the UI screen is devoted to this style of promotion in the Free version. 

I have however developed selective blindness to this and any popup that I do see and I smile as it ignore/close it.  At times it raises a laugh rather than a sigh, when it says my webcam could be spying on me.  Which would be tough as I have it blanked off and have from the day I bought this laptop.  There are others which are A) totally irrelevant or I have it covered by another means.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security