Author Topic: "Gray" ball missing  (Read 4730 times)

Orudy1

"Gray" ball missing
« on: September 26, 2006, 04:52:47 PM »
Sirs,  I have Avast running on my 2 Win XP PC's.  My main PC has the "gray" turning ball missing from my bottom tool tray for a few months now.  I checked the program and its running fine in the background and no viruses on the machine. I may have done something to turn it off.  Can I restore the icon without removing and re-installing Avast?  Thanks you

orudy1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: "Gray" ball missing
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 05:53:24 PM »
If the program is running fine (how many providers you have running? Let the mouse over the 'a' icon to see a tip with this info), the problem of the color seems to be related to your monitor drivers and capabilities.

Anyway, try to repair your installation: go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 05:57:51 PM »
The grey is a blue grey, but never mind that, check that the Program Settings, Appearance, Show avast! tray icon is ticked. Ensure that it isn't hidden (Hide inactive icons).

If it is none of those have you installeed any security based programs recently ?
What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Orudy1

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 08:14:03 PM »
.... thanks for the help guys.  I did check if it was "hidden" or "ticked off" and neither was.  I tried the "remove" under Windows, but "repair" wasn't an option so I uninstalled the previous version and installed the newest version ok.  Hey. my revolving ball is back!  Good to see an old friend again.  Thanks again for the assistance.  This is the "fastest" forum without doubt.  I really appreciate your dedication.

orudy1

Orudy1

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 08:17:03 PM »
BTW .... I'm also running AVG, Spybot and Ad-Aware software with no problems interferring with each other.  AVG runs in the background, but the rest are manually done as needed.  byeeee......

orudy1

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 09:55:10 PM »
Not a wise move having two resident scanners, rather than give twice the protection it is more likely to cause conflict as they fight for control over the virus, which could leave your system more vulnerable.

Even disabled there are virtual device drivers and Legacy registry keys that will still run and can conflict. So you should uninstall AVG, as an ex AVG user, I feel avast is a better, more flexible and configurable anti-virus. Not to mention better support ;D

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 03:35:54 AM »
I'm also running AVG
Even if you disable AVG version 7, sooner or later, you'll get problems with avast. Windows Security Center won't recognize avast, providers could be disabled, email could not be downloaded...
Definitivelly, it's not a good choice of a second scanner.
Try ClamWin or BitDefender  ;)

Orudy1

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 04:23:19 PM »
David R. and Tech,  Thanks for responding and just to let you know I did remove Grisoft's AVG program.  Amazingly my system seems to have picked up speed online and offline.  I guess too much of a good thing can be detrimental in the end.  Thanks again.  BTW I'm running a barebones kit that's had the HD replaced twice, Mobo once and has been updated to DVD player and more.  I have another question,  is it better to shutdown my system after each use or leave it running?  This year I've switched to a cable modem with a 4 port router and I've heard stories about leaving your PC on invites viruses more.  Any validity to that?

orudy1

Thanks again for the advice.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 04:47:49 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.

I used to leave my system on 24/7 as the time when most stress is applied to a system is start-up, so also suggested heat/cold causing component expansion/contraction, which could cause a failure.

Now my system is on all day and switched off at night, generally systems are better now and you really would have to work hard to stress it and the expansion/contraction really isn't that much of a concern as many replace their systems more frequently now. Even in standby you are burning energy a waste that costs you over a year a tidy saving.

I'm on dial-up so I'm not effected by an always on connection, but unless you have good firewall protection I wouldn't recommend that you leave your connection on even if you leave your system on. Whist the act of leaving a connection on invites viruses it simply gives more time for port scanners to detect your system if your firewall isn't doing its job, so unless there is an absolutely good reason for leaving it on I would switch it off.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 09:32:05 PM »
This year I've switched to a cable modem with a 4 port router and I've heard stories about leaving your PC on invites viruses more.  Any validity to that?
You can leave 24/7 computer on.
Anyway, what will protect you is a good firewall (besides the router)  ;)