Author Topic: Avast slows PC down HUGELY when DL-ing game, breaks internet when I snooze it  (Read 399 times)

Offline john.wetzel.iv+avast

I have a custom-built PC running windows 10 Home 64-bit installed on a seagate firecuda ST2000LX001 2TB SSD. I have a 3.8GHz AMD 4130 quad-core CPU, 16GB RAM, and an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti graphics card.

Every time I try to download or install any games or updates from the epic game store, Avast brings my entire PC to an almost total standstill. Im talking taking 15+ seconds just to open the START menu when I hit the windows key. 12+ seconds for a folder to open up when I click on it. Its insane.

And it definitely is avast, too, because when I check task manager, it shows that my cpu usage stays at 98% to 99%, and that the three processes of Avast Antivirus engine server, Avast software analyzer, and Avast Antivirus, are taking up a combined 68% of my cpu, with another 24% being used by the epic games launcher, and the remaining 8% or o being used up by various system processes. And this is when I have EVERYTHING else closed.

Ive been having this slowdown problem for a long time, but earlier today when I realized it was Avast causing the problem, I decided to see what would happen if I snoozed avast. So I right clicked on the avast icon in the task tray, clicked on Avast Shields control, and disabled for 10 minutes.

Immediately, my computer stopped being so slow. Things went back to a totally normal speed, and the download/install continued. Then a few minutes later, I noticed that epic games was saying it was having trouble connecting. I tried resetting my router, no luck. I then realized that my laptop  and phone were still connecting to the wifi just fine. It was only my pc that was having trouble connecting. I tried a bunch of different stuff, and found out I couldnt even connect to 192.168.1.1! I tried unplugging and re-plugging the ethernet cable from my pc, I tried unplugging everything from the modem and power cycling it for a minute, nothing. Then, all of a sudden, I get a window saying "You will be signed out in 5 minutes, windows will shut down." So I googled around for that, turns out its some setting that allows windows to auto-restart if it encounters certain issues.

Windows restarted, and my internet was back working again. I opened up the epic games launcher and resumed the download. Again, my pc became INSANELY slow, so again, I snoozed the avast shields, not realizing that this was what had caused the internet issue. PC got faster again, but then a couple minutes later, internet went out again. And again, all other devices worked fine. I tried windows network trouble shooting, disabling and re-enabling, uninstalling and re-installing the ethernet adapter in device manager, nothign worked.

I restarted the PC. Internet worked again. Resumed download. Realized it might be snoozing avast that caused the problem. Decided to test it. Snoozed avast shields, internet dies. Tried to un-snooze avast shields, and avast just wont let me.

Restart PC again, resume download, and this time DONT disable avast. I just have to settle for not using my desktop for the better part of an hour, because avast thinks its a good idea to take up 2/3 of my CPU for absolutely no reason and make my machine unusable, and if I try to disable it, it throws a temper tantrum and kills my internet for absolutely no reason, and refuses to let me re-enable it.

Is there a way to fix this? Either by making avast NOT take up 68% of my cpu any time I download a game to begin with, or by making it so that I can snooze the shields WITHOUT it killing my internet.

I have avast free antivirus version 20.6.2420 (build 20.6.5495.588) with virus definitions version 200916-18

Offline Asyn

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Update to the latest version (20.7.2425): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=237544.0
Win 8.1 [x64] - Avast PremSec 21.2.2451.Beta#2 [UI.599] - EEK - Firefox ESR 78.8 [NS/uBO/PB] - TB 78.8
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 88.2 - Cleanup P 21.1 - SecureLine 5.9 - Driver Updater 21.1 - CCleaner 5.77
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0