Author Topic: Extract Infected File from Virus chest for testing ?  (Read 5769 times)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
Extract Infected File from Virus chest for testing ?
« on: September 29, 2006, 04:41:02 PM »
I was scanning my Hard drive and Avast! detected File : "common.dll " as being infected with Win32:Banload-ZH [Trj]
The location of the file is E:\Program Files\Process Lasso.
"Process Lasso" is a program 'similar' in ways to Windows Task Manager. I've had no problems with the program before or after moving the file to Virus Chest. Avast! hasn't previously detected this file so I thought I would check it online at Jotti , and Kaspersky online scanners.

This posed the problem of ; "How do I upload the file out of the chest?" All I could think was to Extract it to a program called "Folder Lockbox" , which I wasn't too happy about , but thought better than simply putting it on the desktop , or a regular folder.I've no idea how safe the Lockbox is , aside from that I unlocked it and uploaded. After all this time I feel embarrassed to admit I don't know how to work with files in the chest  :P

After uploading scanned the file with Avast!  and sent it to the Virus Chest .
1. How do you Export a file to an online scanner , if at all ?
2.Seems it's a false positive , although I'll leave it in Virus Chest for time being .
 ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Extract Infected File from Virus chest for testing ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 05:40:39 PM »
You highlight the file in the chest and right click and select Extract (see image), you can then extract it to a temporay folder, a copy still remains in the chest (confirm). You could also use Restore but this if more dangerous as it is in the location where it was and could be activated.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 06:24:11 PM »
Thanks DavidR . Pretty much what I did. Would be good to be able to "Extract"  a file for Uploading without copying out of Virus Chest to your system , even if it's not to it's original location .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 06:29:52 PM »
That would make a bit of a mockery of protecting the chest from outside influence if something could access the chest to extract a file there in theory would be little to stop it executing it or possible something else.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security