Author Topic: Very slow internet connection when Belgium VPN is active  (Read 2893 times)

Offline mnelissen1968

Very slow internet connection when Belgium VPN is active
« on: September 17, 2020, 11:24:41 PM »
When I browse without Avast Secure line my Internet connection is very fast 60 Mb/s (480 Mbit/s) Download and 39 Mb/s (320 Mbit/s) Upload. I live in the Netherlands and my wife likes to watch some tv programs in Belgium online. As soon as use Avast Secure VPN and select Belgium as my country the connection drops to such a slow speed I can't even open many websites or they open very slow. As soon as I close VPN everything is fast again. I only have this issue with the Belgium VPN. When I select the US VPN, Germany or what ever the connection stays fast. So my understanding is that the Belgium server Avast uses is very slow? Or is there something else wrong and/or is the issue still at my end. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Very slow internet connection when Belgium VPN is active
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 11:34:17 AM »
When I browse without Avast Secure line my Internet connection is very fast 60 Mb/s (480 Mbit/s) Download and 39 Mb/s (320 Mbit/s) Upload. I live in the Netherlands and my wife likes to watch some tv programs in Belgium online. As soon as use Avast Secure VPN and select Belgium as my country the connection drops to such a slow speed I can't even open many websites or they open very slow. As soon as I close VPN everything is fast again. I only have this issue with the Belgium VPN. When I select the US VPN, Germany or what ever the connection stays fast. So my understanding is that the Belgium server Avast uses is very slow? Or is there something else wrong and/or is the issue still at my end. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,

I manage to access and view videos on this site (bruzz.be/video) without any issues.
Could you try the site above, please?
Perhaps the server you connected to was close to full or the site you visited in some way tried to restrict access from VPNs (speculation).
If you encounter this issue try to turn the VPN off and back on (this should provide you with a new server to connect to)

Offline mnelissen1968

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 07:27:36 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I tried your tips but with the same result I’m afraid. Even after disconnecting and reconnecting the VPN connection several times the VPN connection stayed very slow. So the VPN server was not the issue. After some further digging I found a solution that I found on a different issue not related to mine. I changed the DNS settings to the Google DNS, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. After doing this the VPN connection is as fast as my home internet connection. Problem solved. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 12:01:05 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I tried your tips but with the same result I’m afraid. Even after disconnecting and reconnecting the VPN connection several times the VPN connection stayed very slow. So the VPN server was not the issue. After some further digging I found a solution that I found on a different issue not related to mine. I changed the DNS settings to the Google DNS, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. After doing this the VPN connection is as fast as my home internet connection. Problem solved. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for the update.