Author Topic: AVAST business practices are disgraceful  (Read 930 times)

Offline brian_sadler

AVAST business practices are disgraceful
« on: September 20, 2020, 01:24:31 AM »
So,  I spent the last 2 days trying to fix our Windows 7 desktop.  My wife uses it for browsing only and complained to me that she could not access msn.com.

So I tried a few things,  rebooting the desktop,  the wifi etc,  all with no luck. I then strung an ethernet from the desktop to the wifi router.  Of course I was able to get my laptop to work with both
wireless and hardwired in the same location,  but same issue,  timeout on the browser,  no connection.

So I thought perhaps it was the network parameters on the desktop,  so I tried many combinations,  but to no avail.

With desperation setting in I checked all software installs and noticed that AVAST was installed,  So I asked her if she had done that.  She said she might have and can only
remember clicking "don't install" but looks like we got it anyway.

Undeterred,  I tried to stop the application,  but it wouldn't let me.  So I tried to uninstall it,  but it wouldn't let me.  Getting more suspicious by the second,  I did a quick search and found that I was not alone in my anger at having software automatically installed,  against my wishes.

it seems like every effort is made to install the software on MY personal property,  against my instructions,  and then to make it very difficult for the average user to get rid of it..

I was able to find and run the uninstaller and hopefully removed this POS software forever.  After removing it,  my wife's desktop returned to normal operation as before.

As I understand it's bundled with CCLEANER with the same result,  that even if you instruct the installer to not install AVAST,  it still does it. CCLEANER which is a great piece of software, for me
has been mortally wounded by the corporate decision to put profits before everything else.

You can be rest assured that I will trash your company every opportunity I get.