Author Topic: Pop-ups  (Read 2671 times)

Offline nown

Pop-ups
« on: September 22, 2020, 07:16:12 AM »
The constant pop-ups, like several times a day, are driving me insane.  I've tried various methods to stop them, but nothing has worked.  If I can't opt out of these repetitious, annoying pleas to update to a PAID service, I will have to discontinue Avast and switch to another provider.  Can anyone help, please?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Pop-ups
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 10:27:52 AM »
Provide details and a screenshot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline julsmt

• shroud mouse
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 12:02:39 PM »
This happened to me too. But it's now gone when I re-activate my subscription for a year. Not sure how it's affect the popup, just curious are you near on the end of your subscription? My 2 desktop computer before was only a day away for the end of it's subscription and I observe that my 2 desktop computer was having those popup it's appearing several times and they both appearing at the same time, I think that's the reason of the popup maybe because it's near the end of subscription?

Offline nown

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 07:04:14 PM »

Thanks.  I will as soon as I get another one.  Pretty sure my problem is that we subscribe to the FREE virus protection and they're constantly trying to get us to upgrade to one where we need to pay.  We can't afford that and don't want it.  However, my husband has the same subscription and he's not getting the pop-ups on HIS computer.

I got the links, but even translated to English, I can't find anything that addresses my particular problem.  It's really not in Avast's interest to stop trying to sell me stuff.  (Unless you can give me a more specific link to fix my situation? Thanks!)

Offline nown

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 07:09:42 PM »

Thanks.  I will as soon as I get another one.  Pretty sure my problem is that we subscribe to the FREE virus protection and they're constantly trying to get us to upgrade to one where we need to pay.  We can't afford that and don't want it.  However, my husband has the same subscription and he's not getting the pop-ups on HIS computer.

I got the links, but even translated to English, I can't find anything that addresses my particular problem.  It's really not in Avast's interest to stop trying to sell me stuff.  (Unless you can give me a more specific link to fix my situation? Thanks!)
This happened to me too. But it's now gone when I re-activate my subscription for a year. Not sure how it's affect the popup, just curious are you near on the end of your subscription? My 2 desktop computer before was only a day away for the end of it's subscription and I observe that my 2 desktop computer was having those popup it's appearing several times and they both appearing at the same time, I think that's the reason of the popup maybe because it's near the end of subscription?

Hi.  Are you paying for your subscription?  Because I have the FREE version and they're trying to sell me an upgraded one.  Also, it seems I had their VPN option, which must've been free or I'd never have subscribed to it, nor did I use it more than once or twice.  It's now expiring and they're trying to have me re-subscribe.  I opted out of that successfully, but it must have triggered them to keep bugging me for other upgrades.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 07:11:41 PM »
Well, in short - the ads are basically 'the price to pay' for the free version.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline julsmt

• shroud mouse
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 11:49:44 AM »

Hi.  Are you paying for your subscription?  Because I have the FREE version and they're trying to sell me an upgraded one.  Also, it seems I had their VPN option, which must've been free or I'd never have subscribed to it, nor did I use it more than once or twice.  It's now expiring and they're trying to have me re-subscribe.  I opted out of that successfully, but it must have triggered them to keep bugging me for other upgrades.

No I subscribe for 2 years before, the popup happened while I'm still subscribed at that time, I think 7 days left before my subscription end, I observe for  almost 2 weeks if the popup will appear while my subscription is already ended but it didn't show at all even once nothing. When I re-activated for a year subscription(last week) the popup didn't show anymore. So I think it might be because the subscription is nearing to it's end.

Offline Keithuk

• http://www.auto-professionals.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 06:39:24 PM »

No I subscribe for 2 years before, the popup happened while I'm still subscribed at that time, I think 7 days left before my subscription end, I observe for  almost 2 weeks if the popup will appear while my subscription is already ended but it didn't show at all even once nothing. When I re-activated for a year subscription(last week) the popup didn't show anymore. So I think it might be because the subscription is nearing to it's end.

Ok a pop up for subscription renewal is ok as it saves me remembering when something needs renewal.

Pop ups are one of the worst things Avast does, amongst many other things.

Post a screendump they are annoying as they are only show for a couple a seconds there is probably a setting to make these stay longer. Why would I want these pop ups to show for longer?

They are all crap as they show updates install loads of other crap which isn't FREE as Avast gives nothing free. Its like a spam pop us which is nothing useful.

I I've said before in another tread Avast settings is total crap as there are so many the text search is also crap, I know what I want to search for it shows nothing.

As with all software there is an Help link in the main menu. There is a help for trouble shooting which again is total crap nothing useful.

It NEEDS a separate HELP link on its own where any good help link you can search for text.

I don't have the FREE version

Avast Premium Security 20.5.2415 (build 20.5.5410.561) last lime I checked.
Windows XP SP3 (Desktop)
Windows 7 32bit good (Laptop) fooked won't charge
DELL Inspiron Windows 10 x64 SHIT Laptop the worst fooking laptop design ever made
Avast FREE SHIT

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 08:19:30 AM »
It NEEDS a separate HELP link on its own where any good help link you can search for text.
-> https://help.avast.com/en/av_free/20/

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 09:41:36 AM »
In my opinion it is something that in Avast Free should be removed.

Advertising and push to sell can be done in another way, but so tired of pop-ups users switch to other providers. :(
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 11:57:52 AM »
In my opinion it is something that in Avast Free should be removed.

Advertising and push to sell can be done in another way, but so tired of pop-ups users switch to other providers. :(
I don't see how it can be otherwise except that you don't understand the principle of advertising as said by Asyn (#5)

Compared to TV advertising, you wouldn't like it to cut your program in half (it's true that it's annoying too  ;) ) and the broadcaster to take it out of your way and let you see it for example by pressing the info button on your remote control?
No!!! That's not how it works . If the spots annoy me, I'm not going to ask the channel to remove or to hide them (I know they won't), I'll change channels.
So you're right about one thing, if avast popups bother you, get another antivirus if you think that's the solution.
You're also partly right when you say that other free products have slightly less aggressive advertising, but these may be just appearances, they may have other less obvious ways of annoying you, but they always end up achieving their goals  ;)
Moreover, speaking of antivirus, there are not tons of them that are offered for free and even less that do not offer boring ads.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 12:04:04 PM by chris.. »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 05:37:06 PM »
My 2 cents on this topic,
https://youtu.be/E5EgBeGBXxs
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet