Author Topic: Avast Opening Randomly  (Read 7045 times)

Offline EB64

Avast Opening Randomly
« on: September 22, 2020, 11:23:19 PM »
Starting this morning, Avast has started to open randomly as if I am clicking on the tray icon or something.
I've not noticed it doing it before today.
Restarted my computer and it's still doing it.
It will even happen if I am not doing anything on my computer at all.

Another thing I've noticed is randomly, I'll see a quick window that looks like the Avast alert window that pops up for a split second and then is gone.
No notification in Avast itself, so no clue what it could be. Happens randomly, but I've noticed it most frequently when watching someone stream on Twitch.

Is there some new update that could be causing this?

I've been a premium user for over a year, and this is the first I've been having issues.

EDIT:
Well at least I'm not alone in these issues.
Forgot to mention I'm running Windows 10, latest public patch.
Only change I've made recently with Avast was starting the free trial of Driver Updater back on the 13th. Seeing as how I've had the phantom popup window for longer than that, and the GUI opening only started yesterday, I don't think it's related.

EDIT2:
Right now, program version is:
20.7.2425 build 20.7.5568.598
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 01:00:42 AM by EB64 »

Offline faol4lobo

Re: Avast Opening Randomly
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 11:39:09 PM »
it happens to me also.
Since yesterday, maybe, avast pop up as if i had clicked tray icon.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 11:42:33 PM by faol4lobo »

Offline Alex1063

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 12:57:20 AM »
And in my case, more worryingly it takes over the screen and has to be constantly minimised every few seconds by manual intervention.  Started this afternoon in my case.  Tech guy here (Bojan) was looking into it for me, but no solution yet. 

Offline kay_dee

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 01:37:20 AM »
Also happening to me, starting today.

Offline EB64

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 02:11:00 AM »
Well it is a relief to see it's not just me. Was beginning to think I'd been hacked or something weird.
Hopefully, they'll push out an update and get this fixed.

Offline zakpowers17

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 03:00:27 AM »
The issue has been happening all day, anywhere from every hour to every 30 minutes. Turning on Silent Mode does nothing. In fact, right-clicking the tile icon and checking Silent Mode has the app like normal, when unchecking it puts it in Silent.

Update 23 Sep 08:55 EST:
Before bed, locked my computer. When I woke up, computer was at the screen to enter my password to unlock. Unlocked my computer, and the app was already open. Don't know if that means anything, but thought it should be noted for the sake of bug-logging.

Minimizing doesn't fix the problem, the GUI will eventually pop up again. Might have found a temporary fix; open the GUI, click on Menu in the top-right corner, then minimize. I've gone a couple hours without GUI popup so far.

Update 23 Sep 14:53 EST:
Three popups in 6 hours. Don't know if the experiment listed above had anything to do with it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:55:22 PM by zakpowers17 »

Offline semerson3

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 05:50:57 AM »
It's happening to me as well, on both my PC as well as my laptop.

Offline Wayne18

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 06:51:46 AM »
It's launching the GUI every time it updates the virus defs I've discovered. 

It started happening to my wife's computer yesterday and started with mine today after I'd rebooted.  I've tried turning off all the notifications but nothing made a diff.  I've just tried setting the "Use silent mode and turn off all pop-ups, alerts and messages" which isn't want I want but I also don't want the GUI popping up on me every 2-3 hrs (which seems to be the frequency of the virus def updates).  So we'll see if that works.

Looks like it's time to fire the QC staff or hire more.

Offline IDF

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 08:37:48 AM »
Me too. And all it tells me is my computer is protected, with an offer to run Smart Scan. It's the whole user interface, occupying most of my monitor.

This started today - Sep 22.

And, it was happening on an older version, as I had not updated the program lately. I then updated the program to the release of Sep 1 (ver 20.7.2425) and it's still happening.

What kind of a virus definition contains within it something that would trigger a change in program behavior like this? That doesn't make sense. Doesn't it mean the virus definitions are actually more than just virus definitions?

I'm switching virus definitions to "Manual" for the moment to see if the behavior goes away.

Offline sparkymom56

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 09:34:40 AM »
Same with me & my daughter on separate computers.  Very annoying.  Hope they fix it soon.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 09:45:25 AM »
Have you tried to do a Repair of Avast to see if that helps?
Open the User Interface.
Menu>Settings>Troubleshooting> [Repair App]

Offline IDF

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 10:40:14 AM »
Changing virus definition updates from Automatic to Manual did not fix this.

Now changing application update from "Ask when update is available" to Manual to see if that helps.

Offline paulclive.walker1955

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 12:03:00 PM »
Changing virus definition updates from Automatic to Manual did not fix this.

Now changing application update from "Ask when update is available" to Manual to see if that helps.

I tried app repair - no change - system restore- pop up stopped but cannot open avast and tray icon disappears if cursor goes near it. Also cannot open Google from its shortcut

Offline henriruukki

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 12:13:52 PM »
Same thing; obviously a software feature, nothing to do with computer and settings. Silent mode didn't help: it just started spamming that silent mode is on. Avast people please fix this ASAP.

Offline -=DruiD=-

• ...stop looking at me...
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 01:06:53 PM »
Same - getting this and the other random blank popup. as per the other thread.