Author Topic: Avast Opening Randomly  (Read 7042 times)

Offline IDF

Re: Avast Opening Randomly
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 01:13:03 PM »
So, changing application update from "Ask when update is available" to Manual also doesn't help. I've got no checking for definitions or app update but it continues opening periodically.

In case it matters:

I am using Avast with Windows 7 running in a virtual machine on a Mac. I would imagine most people reporting the problem are using Windows 10 on a PC.

So this started on Tuesday 9/22? Did something happen at that time that would trigger this? Like the fall equinox, which was on 9/22?

Offline dragon-fox

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 02:19:37 PM »
Same here ive used the tool to remove avast then did a fresh install which it still presists

Offline strakl

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 02:58:23 PM »
I'm not getting this issue yet, but i am on the beta channel, so perhaps that is why?

Offline ghosty45

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 03:11:03 PM »
Having this really annoying issue too, the phantom popup issue while annoying did not interrupt what I was doing much.. This new bug is very very annoying, was playing a game when suddenly with the game still running I get dumped back to windows, with the smart scan window open.. For all this time that I have been using Avast I have never had problems, until now..

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 08:54:51 PM »
Hi there, thank you for the reports, our developers are looking into this. We will keep you posted.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Offline Name Goes Here

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 09:13:28 PM »
This has been happening to me too since yesterday.

It would not stop today while trying to give a board presentation. Poping up every 5 minutes and kicking me out of presenter view. Very bad timing to have this issue.

I am a very longtime paying avast user but given all the AVAST SPAM from them trying to sell internal products via the avast notification (isn't avast suppose to stop ad-bots?) I really am at the end of my rope with this software. A change may be in the near future.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:16:59 PM by Name Goes Here »

Offline EB64

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2020, 09:17:09 PM »
I can confirm that the problem seems to happen whenever there's an update to virus definitions.
Just now had the window open and checked to find that it just updated definitions.

Offline Nizrael

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2020, 10:31:23 PM »
Random uncommanded opening of the UI window is happening to me too as of today.  Avast is auto-updated to version 20.7.2425, running on 64-bit Windows 10 Pro version 2004 build 19041.508.

Offline Hokon

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2020, 11:18:34 PM »
This same thing happened to me starting today, the 23rd, after I restarted for the new update. Have not had this problem before.

Offline sagetone

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2020, 11:32:50 PM »
Same complaint here.  Two days ago, it popped up, offering the Smart Scan.  So I said yes, let's do it.  I went through all of the steps until I got to the "which payment plan do you prefer" for fixing performance issues (paraphrasing here).  I don't want, but there is no option to say "skip this step".  I simply closed the GUI.  It has since opened about once every half hour, similar to what others have reported.  Really looking forward to a fix, this is getting annoying.

Offline jessgless

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2020, 12:38:48 AM »
The same thing is happening with me - constantly throughout the day. This is driving me freaking nuts!!! How can one get work done when the system that is supposed to keep our systems free of bugs, viruses, malware, etc. have something totally wrong with it that CAUSES the same thing - control over our systems. And it takes DAYS to correct the problem? Come on, someone go the the TECH room and pound the hell out of a desk with a HAMMER to wake everyone up to this problem! OR, maybe get the Head Tech on the hook to fix the darned thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LA Avast user

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2020, 12:52:56 AM »
Happening to me also.  Pops up the Avast screen "This computer is protected"

Offline EB64

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2020, 01:00:10 AM »
Never even thought to share what version I'm running.

Right now, program version is:
20.7.2425 build 20.7.5568.598

Dunno if that will help narrow down the problem.
I'd try switching to the BETA build, but I've read there's some nasty memory leaks occurring there, so I'm gonna wait on that for awhile.

Offline IDF

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2020, 01:15:04 AM »
I can confirm that the problem seems to happen whenever there's an update to virus definitions.
Just now had the window open and checked to find that it just updated definitions.

That sounds like one situation where it happens, but I switched all updates to manual and while the updates did stop happening, the random program appearance continues. So I don't think the cause can be narrowed down solely to an update to the virus defs.

Offline 夏にゃん

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2020, 01:20:37 AM »
Avast Premium Security is always opening and minimize my work my games very often even with silent mode and all notification off! Please fix of I will change to new anti virus program!