Author Topic: Programs slowing down my PC  (Read 2103 times)

Offline mijewen

Programs slowing down my PC
« on: September 24, 2020, 03:59:21 AM »
From time to time, I get a popup saying, among other things, that the programs shown are slowing me down, with a bar showing how much they are slowing me down.
The longest bar is always Juice.  However, it only runs for about 10 minutes per day (it's my podcast manager), and when it has downloaded my day's podcasts, I shut it down.  I have checked Windows Task Manager, and its process is no longer running.  While it is running, it isn't slowing me down because it is the only thing running, so there's nothing else to be slowed down.  Can somebody please explain this to me?

The next longest bar is Digital TV Tuner device registration.  I have been seeing this for years - but I am not aware of having any digital TV tuner in my PC.  When I look under Programs and Features, I can't see any program name that suggests being a TV tuner.  How can I find the source of this message?

As an aside, there's an issue with this message board also.  When I submitted this message, it pointed out that I had not filled in the subject line.  After I did that, I was lucky to notice that the attachment had disappeared and needed re-attaching.

The same goes for Adobe Acrobat.  When I look at Processes in Task Manager, I guess that's "Acroread32.exe" - but when I sort on CPU usage, it is never near the top, and always reads "00%" of CPU usage.

What is Avast suggesting I do with these programs?  If I run a scan, it pulls these programs out and asks "Resolve?"  I would never dare to say Yes, for fear that Avast will resolve the situation by deleting them, and at least some of them are programs that I use.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Programs slowing down my PC
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 10:44:47 AM »
Hi,

It seems that you only have Avast Premium Security and this looks like an ad for Cleanup.
You can disable these ads by going to Menu > Settings > General> Personal Privacy > Offers (in Avast Premium Security)

Offline mijewen

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 04:17:49 AM »
OK - so it's an ad.  Is it true?  Do I have to do something with Juice?
And what about this Digital TV Tuner device registration?  Does it exist, or is it just BS so they can sell me Cleanup?  I reiterate : How can I find the source of this message?

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 10:33:01 AM »
Hi,

The "Digital TV Tuner device registration application" is related to Windows Media Player and Media Features.
You can use Avast Cleanup to block this or turn these features off manually.
Concerning "Juice," You can use Avast Cleanup to prevent it from loading or do it manually.

If you wish, you can try the Trial version of Cleanup to check all the details: https://www.avast.com/cleanup#pc
- click the link "Try it free for 30 days (no credit card needed)"
Once you have installed the trial version of Cleanup, you can find more details about these apps in the program menu - Speed up - Background & startup programs - by clicking the "i" icon next to the respective program.
You can always uninstall the trial version of Cleanup at anytime if it does not suit your needs.

Offline mijewen

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 06:30:39 PM »
Well, I looked at Media player and Media Center, and the only mention I saw of a TV tuner was that I would need one if I wanted to look at TV on my computer.  However, I don't have one. 
95% of the time, Juice is not running, so I can't find any reason for the length of its "slowing your PC down" bar.
So tell me - is this message just BS concocted by Avast to make me think there's something wrong when there isn't, so that they can sell me a product that they know I don't need?

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 05:05:10 PM »
Hi,

The length of the bar that shows how much a program can slow down the PC, is not based on the behaviour of the customer's PC. This is our own measurement from the backend.
Meaning that it is commonly observed on customers' devices to slow down their systems significantly.