Author Topic: Latest update to Avast Free caused regular BSOD  (Read 1879 times)

Offline paroy302

Latest update to Avast Free caused regular BSOD
« on: September 24, 2020, 06:59:48 PM »
The other morning, I came back to my computer and found it had restarted itself, and avast was sitting there, telling me it had updated.
I then got a Blue Screen while watching youtube. Restarted.

Later got some bizarre behaviour while trying to do a windows backup. My youtube video hiccuped, my command prompt ping told me there was a "Failure" instead of "request timed out", and core temp told me my cpu was overheating, showing 100c. (Which has not even happened running a CPU burner) My computer ran really slow until I restarted it.

I then got repeated blue screens and crashes while trying to run windows backup, (the Blue screens themselves even crashed, leaving no dump file), and it also Blue Screened while playing games.

During all of this, the 2 status windows for my GPU (MSI afterburner and GPU Temp) would "Flicker" (Dissappear for a split second then reappear), which they've never done before.

I've done a system restore to a point before the update to avast, succeeded in running a complete windows backup, uninstalled avast, and there's been no abnormal behavior so far.

Offline strakl

Re: Latest update to Avast Free caused regular BSOD
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 07:36:49 PM »
Try to repare avast.
Go to menu, settings, troubleshooting, repare.

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
Re: Latest update to Avast Free caused regular BSOD
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 11:13:47 AM »
Hi paroy302,
may I ask you for system memory dump file. (C:\Windows\memory.dmp or take a look into %SystemRoot%\Minidump, which is generally C:\Windows\Minidump.)
Zip those files as paroy302_bsod_9_2020.zip and upload it to avast ftp server
(https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/FTP-file-upload)
Thank you for report.