Author Topic: Wi-Fi Inspector disables wireless interfaces on router  (Read 1840 times)

Offline WiFiShEr

Wi-Fi Inspector disables wireless interfaces on router
« on: September 25, 2020, 06:35:45 PM »
Hello everyone, hope to find some help here!
I was using Avast Free antivirus for some time without problems. But after some updates I have run into trouble.
At first I did not get, what was the cause and though it is my home network issue. But after some testing I found that the cause is Wi-Fi Inspector.
When performing wireless network scan, PC disconnects from it and there is no my network SSID could be found anymore. Router restart does not help. Checking router WEB interface - shows that both 2.4 and 5 wireless interfaces are disabled. Enabling them brings everything back.

So it seems that Wi-Fi Inspector scan just somehow disables the Wireless Interfaces on router.

The Wireless device is Cable Modem with Router, bought from local internet service provider.
Technicolor EPC3940ADL
Hardware Revision:   2.0
Bootloader Revision:   2.5.0beta1_R4
Current Software Revision:   e3940AL-ES-16-E107-c5230r55113-160318c

Avast Free Antivirus:
Program version: 2.0.7.2425 (bulid 20.7.5568.598)
Virus definitions version: 200924-0
UI version: 1.0.558

Pc:
Windows 10 PRO 64bit
Version 1909 OS build 18363.1082
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

Would be glad of any help. I am already tired of switching wireless networks back :)

Offline strakl

Re: Wi-Fi Inspector disables wireless interfaces on router
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 07:24:15 PM »
Ok that is defenetly very strange. Wait for one of the devs.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 10:35:05 AM »
@WiFiShEr
If you have wifi inspector set to regularly scan your home network and you have found that to adversely affect your router, you can switch off regularly scanning in wifi inspector settings (cog wheel on left side of screen). Untick the home scan tickbox.
See if that helps you as a workround for now.
I have no idea how wifi inspector can possibly affect operation of your router as you have reported.

Offline Vitdom

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 02:22:10 PM »
The purpose of the Wi-Fi Inspector is to find security issues in the router. Looks like your router is vulnerable to an attack known as Denial of Service (DoS).
Try to update router firmware, otherwise buy a new router.
Until you have solved the router security issue, completely disable the Avast Wi-Fi Inspector.

Keep in mind, scanning others' Wi-Fi with Avast tools is illegal unless you have permission from the network owner.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 02:26:32 PM by Vitdom »

Offline rylikonto

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 10:22:10 AM »
Hello, i have same problem. It started like a month ago i have same Wifi router  EPC3940 but from Cisco

This seems like a huge thing since i have heard in local forums that others have it as well. Is Avast DDOSING my wifi router? Can this be turned off by default please?  I imagine a lot of users have this trouble by now and they will stop using Avast because of that.

Can we get please a Dev answer or what actually is the Wifi inspector doing? Can i set my router so it wont happen?

I cant update my router firmware myself.