Author Topic: Avast crashing when adding App Exclusion  (Read 1202 times)

Offline techdude5534

Avast crashing when adding App Exclusion
« on: September 28, 2020, 04:00:29 PM »
I am trying to allow one of my apps on Avast's ransomware protection. When I click the "Add" button, the "Loading" animation will spin for about 5 seconds, then Avast will completely close without showing any apps. Even if I click "Select App Path," it will still close Avast completely after about 5 seconds. This makes it incredibly difficult to allow an app. I already tried using the Avast cleanup utility from Safe Mode, but the issue reappeared after installing Avast again. Has anyone experienced this before?

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: Avast crashing when adding App Exclusion
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 06:47:30 PM »
Reading your post am I correct that you have used avastclear.exe to remove Avast and then re-installed it?

A couple of quick things to try:
1. Do a Restart of your PC (not a shutdown/startup cycle)
2. Try Repair Avast.  From user interface Menu>Settings>Troubleshooting>[Repair App]

If that fails: Report back here with details of
a) whether free or paid Avast and version.
b) your Operating System and version.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 06:50:12 PM by rocksteady »

Offline techdude5534

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 10:59:29 PM »
You are correct - I used avastclear.exe to remove Avast, and then I re-installed it. I did a Restart (not shut down) of my PC several times - no effect. I also tried repairing Avast from the user interface - no change. I am using the free version of Avast. My OS is Windows 10 version 1909. Below is a link to a video I recorded that shows the issue occurring on my PC.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArEXKnrfGJo3gaBsC0Ea8aBEr-A9tg?e=4zLJwo

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 04:18:01 PM »
Some of us are wary of accessing external content, so I will not view your video.
However, another question: Do you (or have you in the past) used other antivirus/antimalware software on that PC?
If you have, make sure you have completely removed it using that vendors uninstaller app.
I am not seeing your problem with the same software versions.
One for the devs me thinks.

Offline strakl

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 07:12:36 PM »
Using prier antimalware apps could cause an issue like that, i agree. If you did use one of other antivirus venders, you may want to run their apropriate removal tool, similar to avast clear, this can solve your problem.