Author Topic: BETA version 14.6 with support for BigSur  (Read 15082 times)

Offline Thomas812

Re: BETA version 14.6 with support for BigSur
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2020, 05:11:27 PM »
Today is November 17, above described issues have not been solved.

Offline keithmac

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 07:56:17 PM »
Just upgraded my MacBook Pro to Big Sur. Running Avast 14.6 (sorry don’t have exact release number). Noticed in the Network settings on the Mac there are multiple instances of the Avast VPN Service. Appears that a new instance of the service is created every time the Macbook / Avast is restarted. If I manually disconnect and reconnect the VPN the same service instance is re-used but if I manually disconnect it and allow Avast to automatically reconnect it when I browse, a new instance is created, as opposed to the existing one being re-used. Each restart of the Mac is resulting a new service instance. Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks
Keith

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:58:34 PM by keithmac »

Offline krahulik

• Avast team
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 03:13:16 PM »
Hello,
this behaviour has showed an historical version of Avast SecureLine, approx. a year ago in a combination with macOS 10.15 and newer. Could you please check that you are using the latest product version (4.1.1)?

Best Regards,
Martin

Offline keithmac

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 06:38:13 PM »
Hello - I have not deliberately separately installed Secure Line. When I installed the Free version of Avast Security I followed the prompts and it configured the VPN as result of the installation process. There is a step in the installation in which it prompts to configure Proxies and I accepted this prompt. I have attached a screenshot of the Avast Security version.
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 07:19:04 PM by keithmac »

Offline ray181

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2020, 10:08:50 AM »
We have an issue of avast automatically configuring VPNs in MacOS Big Sur. The unwanted VPNs automatically connect themselves and when deleted in network preferences they come back.

How can we stop these VPNs from connecting, or more to the point creating in the first place.

See this image showing avast prompting to install the VPNs during avast install process on Big Sur:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IDojd0X9bzzMA7jK_ziPYA3IaUL_-6Gt/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:24:19 AM by ray181 »

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2020, 10:45:50 AM »
We have an issue of avast automatically configuring VPNs in MacOS Big Sur. The unwanted VPNs automatically connect themselves and when deleted in network preferences they come back.

How can we stop these VPNs from connecting, or more to the point creating in the first place.

See this image showing avast prompting to install the VPNs during avast install process on Big Sur:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IDojd0X9bzzMA7jK_ziPYA3IaUL_-6Gt/view?usp=sharing
Hello,

Avast Antivirus does not configure any VPN. With Catalina, Apple has introduced Network Extension framework (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/networkextension?language=objc) for intercepting network traffic (which our Web Shield and Mail Shield need to do) instead of the old way (via Kernel Extension). This framework was AFAIK originally used on MacOS only to implement VPN, however on iOS it has also already contained the network traffic interception. This functionality was ported and expanded to MacOS in Catalina, although in an immature state. With Big Sur, Apple has discontinued kernel extensions, so we had to switch to this new technology.

Unfortunately despite the fact we are not using the VPN part of Network Extension (our system extension which uses Transparent Proxy and Dns Proxy for our Pro version), it shows as VPN in Networks in Preferences. This is probably an artifact of the fact that originally Network Extension was used for VPN; we have already reported other place where VPN term was erroneously used in messaging and Apple has fixed it, however we have not reported this yet. We will do so now, hopefully they will rename the records to better reflect what is actually being done (they have already done something similar with one other part of Network Extension functionality).

So please rest assured, unless you buy our VPN product, there is no VPN active.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:51:36 AM by ondrej.kolacek »

Offline keithmac

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2020, 08:44:57 PM »
Thanks Ondrej. Although the Proxy connection still falsely shows as a VPN connection when running release 14.7 on Big Sur (still expected for the reasons you provided), I can report that the multiple 'VPN connections' issue I reported previously has been resolved in 14.7. Thanks to the Avast Team for fixing this.

Regards
Keith