Author Topic: Avast detected rootkit, but don't see it in Virus Chest  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Eljay00

Avast detected rootkit, but don't see it in Virus Chest
« on: September 29, 2020, 11:43:23 PM »
My computer was for some reason running at 99% memory so I did a smart scan with Avast which found 61 rootkit files. I sent everything to the Virus Chest and restarted my laptop. When I scanned it again, Avast found nothing and there was nothing in the virus chest from today. There is also no scan log history where I can check which files were said to be infected. Since my initial Avast scan, my computer has been working fine.

I did a full scan with Windows Defender and also with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit which both found nothing (Malwarebytes found a trojan which I resolved and it found nothing upon a second scan).

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it possible that Avast gave me false positives?

Appreciate any help and advice!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast detected rootkit, but don't see it in Virus Chest
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 12:02:13 AM »
Is this file present:
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\Viruses & Malware.txt

If I remember correctly this is the report file for the Smart Scan, but I don't know if this report is created by default or if you have to tell it to create it.

Whilst you may have asked for the files to be sent to the virus chest, I don't know if there would be circumstances where rootkit files couldn't be sent to the virus chest.  Then it would be down to the options/actions you have set up if the first option/action can't be carried out.  Plus to get ride of rootkit files, I just wonder if Avast wouldn't require a restart to remove them.  Also, if memory serves me well Avast does an anti-rootkit scan 8 minutes after boot and presumably nothing was found.

That said 61 rootkit files would seem excessive.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eljay00

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 01:30:55 AM »
That file is not present. Sounds like I missed my chance for the Smart Scan log.

I have the default settings on Avast. I believe Avast automatically rebooted my laptop after I sent rootkit files to the virus chest. I might not be remembering the exact number of rootkits Avast found, but it was definitely an alarming number. I ran a full scan after the initial reboot which found 1 malware file which I resolved. Ran multiple scans after which found nothing.

I guess I am stumped on what I should do next. Are there any other checks that I should make to consider this issue resolved? It almost feels like Avast resolved the issue when considering that multiple scans with 3 different softwares came up clean and the fact that my laptop seems to be running normally again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 02:26:25 AM »
If you open the Avast UI > Menu > Settings - in the Search area type geek:area (a hidden area) - scroll down to the Smart Scan and I think that it should create a report file, the * basically generates the file I mentioned before.

I have just ran a Smart Scan and the C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\Viruses & Malware.txt modified date was updated to reflect the last Smart Scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eljay00

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 04:03:07 PM »
I copied your settings and ran the smart scan a couple times. The only files I see in the "report" folder is in the image below. I also checked C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log which doesn't have a log from what I can tell.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 05:31:49 PM »
I'm at a loss as to why you aren't getting a getting a report file generated.

If you go into the Avast UI > Menu > Settings > Protection > Virus Scan - Scan History is there anything there ?

Offline Eljay00

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 08:50:02 PM »
Yeah, but only for my full scans. My smart scan history isn't there.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 09:55:32 PM »
Unfortunately I haven't any other suggestions.

Personally though I very rarely run the Smart (NOT) Scan outside of questions in the forums.  It is also rare that I even run any on-demand scans.

With a resident (on-access) scanner the need for on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part dormant/inert files are being scanned, the other active files are going to be scanned by the resident shields when they are activated.

I would run a WiFi Inspector and Software Updater every now and then, outside of these two much of what is returned in the NOT so Smart Scan is promoting other paid avast services.

Offline Eljay00

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 09:11:06 PM »
Gotcha, appreciate the help and advice David!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 09:45:56 PM »
You're welcome.