Author Topic: Turn on Update Mirror???  (Read 4246 times)

Offline KDibble

Turn on Update Mirror???
« on: August 10, 2020, 08:02:25 PM »
Our on-premise server had been offline for a few days following a power outage. When I restarted it today, Avast Business Pro emailed me with a detection notice. I logged into the on-premise console and went to the device on which the detection occurred, "QMS", in the Devices list. A window appeared telling me I have to "turn on update mirror on this device". I've attached a screen shot.

The IP address listed is a private IP in Los Angeles. The message seems to be telling me that I must connect to a "mirror device" having that IP address, whose name is "QMS". QMS is the name of a workstation on my network via VPN in upstate New York. I don't actually know how a device gets an IP address when connecting remotely via VPN but that address is not in range of the available addresses our DHCP server can assign. In any event, I do not want this device to be a "mirror device", yet I cannot do anything in that dialog except click "continue". I can't even log out of the server. What is going on here???

Offline KDibble

Re: Turn on Update Mirror???
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 08:41:46 PM »
I am thinking this was an artifact of the abrupt shutdown of the on-premise server due to the power outage.

After I posted the original message here I remoted into the server machine and killed the Avast service and rebooted the server. I also closed the Avast console browser tab on the workstation I had been using to access the console before I posted the message. When the server came back up I ran the console application and found, in "Notifications", relevant to "Network", the message "Avast antivirus application is outdated" with an "update" link. I clicked that link and  the console displayed, almost instantly, a message that the application was updated. (This did not change the version of the On Premise Console; it's still stuck at 6.0.14. So I don't know what, exactly, was updated.) However, after that I was able to look at devices, including the QMS device, without getting a message about an update mirror.

Any thoughts on why the system behaved this way after an abrupt unplanned shut down?

Offline KDibble

Re: Turn on Update Mirror???
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 05:07:40 PM »
I just got a couple of these again yesterday, not related to any lost of power or anything else. They're easily ignored but what is this? Why does it happen?