Author Topic: 100% CPU all the time/ Cannot uninstall or stop Avast/ Cannot use avastclear  (Read 7360 times)

Offline wratho_g

I noticed that Avast was using over 60% of my CPU yesterday so I went to see what was going on and tried to update to the latest version, which made all hell break loose.

The update hanged at ~80% and wouldn't move but my cpu usage went up to 100%. After some time (30-40min) I decided to just restart the PC in the hopes this would stop it but it did not. After the restart, the CPU usage is still at 100%, as soon as the pc starts up. I then tried using the repair utility, but this wouldn't work either - it would launch but no progress would be done.

After reading up more, I booted in safe mode and tried avastclear but this would also not work and just hand in the loading bit of the app, showing a perpetual loading screen (this was in SAFE MODE).

The best I can figure is that something went haywire and it keeps launching installer programs, which interfere with eachother (see screenshot). It seems that it somehow updated to the latest version (2429) as I do think I was on the previous one yesterday before I hit update. The issue started on the previous version and it's still present now, on the new one.

Please HELP! I cannot stop or uninstall it and I am beyond frustrated with this situation. I cannot use my PC due to the constant 100% CPU usage and this constitutes a big problem!

Offline strakl

Hello there!
I have forwarded the issue, in the mean time, I would recommend trying the repair in avast again, because maybe something in the update process scrued up. Go to menu >settings >troubleshooting >repair avast, from there it is self explanatory really. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Urh

Offline lukas.munduch

• Avast team
Hi, we are very sorry for this issue. Can you please collect and share log files from:

c:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Persistent Data\Avast\Logs\
c:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\log\

It will help us with bug debugging. Can you please also specify your OS and AV edition? Thank you

Lukas

Offline wratho_g

Hello guys,

I've tried the repair app option but it does the exact same thing as everything else I try - it just hangs and does nothing.

Lukas,

Unless I am looking in the completely wrong place, I do not have any of those folders under my avast installation (please see attached ss). Also note the size of that folder - it has tons of .sum files and other stuff, very messy.

I am on windows 10 Pro x64 and the avast version you can see in my initial post, in one of the images. Please note that I am unsure if that version is "valid" as the issues started when I tried updating from a previous one yesterday and I'm not completely sure it finished the update effectively (since after I pressed "Update" it just hanged and I eventually had to restart my pc.

Edit: if you meant what product I am on, it's the free edition, not premium.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 05:04:09 PM by wratho_g »

Offline wratho_g

Lukas,

My bad, I have found the folders in question. They are however filled with log files - which ones are you interested in and how do I go about sharing them (one of them is ~4gb)?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 05:10:31 PM by wratho_g »

Offline lukas.munduch

• Avast team
You can use our SupportTool.exe utility for collecting all important data for us. Tool should be present in this folder on your machine: c:\Program Files\Avast Software\Avast\SupportTool.exe
Here you can find some information how to use it: https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/33/ (it should skip big files you mentioned in default configuration. But for sure, can you please confirm that these big files have .dmp or .mdmp extension? Can you please make screenshot of it/them)

Thank you very much

Lukas
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:23:13 PM by lukas.munduch »

Offline wratho_g

Thanks, Lukas!

I have started the process a few minutes ago and have referenced this thread in lieu of a support ticket and added your name to the "more info" section so hopefully, you'll have an easier time finding it.

Not sure how long it will take, considering the instructions you link mention "several minutes" but judging by latest past experiences (aka how everything avast related tend to just hang indefinitely) I think I will give it more than that to complete. Hopefully it will eventually go through but please note that I am doing this under 100% load on my CPU, which isn't helping things.

Edit: just saw your addition to the previous response. I have checked and there are no large files in c:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Persistent Data\Avast\Logs\  but for the ones under c:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\log\ - please see below screenshot:

2nd edit: the tool just finished and the FILE ID is 1EVLV
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:43:18 PM by wratho_g »

Offline proxify

I'm having the same issue, literally cannot use my laptop due to it.

Nothing working..

Offline lukas.munduch

• Avast team
wratho_g: I can confirm that we received your data + our team will analyze it. Thank you for now
proxify: Thank you for your report. It can be the same issue as wratho_g already reported but can you please post here screenshot of your processes which use the CPU the most?

You can also try to temporarily/permanently disable all Avast shields if it helps.

How to do it:
- right click on Avast tray icon
- select "Avast Shields control" -> (for example) "Disable for 1 hour" (now you should see information that all shields are turned down if you open Avast app)
- check you CPU usage before/after OS restart
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 08:21:21 AM by lukas.munduch »

Offline proxify

Hi Wratho

Please see below its literally making the cpu unusable at the moment.

Offline Jo.Ko.

Hello,
I also have the same problem and am looking forward to a solution. I canĀ“t uninstall Avast normally, nor do I use "avastclear.exe" in Safe Mode. Repairing did not bring any improvement.

The CPU load remains high, even if you temporarily disabled all Avast shields. The CPU load comes from the processes Avast Antivirus Installer and Avast Service -> Avast Antivirus

Thanks for a support!
J.K.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 12:28:59 PM by jochem.koch »

Offline proxify

I wonder if there will be any immediate fix or a way to downgrade, None of us can use our laptops  :-\

Offline proxify

Offline wratho_g

Wrato - this might help you https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=238475.0

Confirmed working!

I finally managed to get it off my pc and my temps are reasonable again.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 02:28:59 PM by wratho_g »

Offline Jo.Ko.

Hi,
It worked! Thank you very much. Sorry, Avast, but no longer with me.
J.K.