Author Topic: THIS FILE IS A DECOMPRESSION BOMB  (Read 3120 times)

fedelissimo

THIS FILE IS A DECOMPRESSION BOMB
« on: September 28, 2006, 11:58:51 PM »
Hi, just trying to understand the meaning of this. After a scanning there are some files that cannot be controlled like the ADWARE ones, but this is usual with AVAST home. The strange thing, for me obviously, is that at the first place there is a file C:\...\setup1.cab that cannot be controlled and as result Impossible to control:the file is a decompressed bomb.

Can anybody help me to understand if it is something for which I should not worry or viceversa if my computer is going to do ....BOOM... :o in a meanwhile.....

Hope that my english is correct....Thks for help

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: THIS FILE IS A DECOMPRESSION BOMB
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 12:50:07 AM »
No a decompression bomb is a file that is compressed in such a way (perhaps using many different compression methods) that when uncompressed it becomes a very large file compared to its initial size, this can cause some systems to crash or allow the system security to be circumvented.

A .cab (cabinet, frequently used by Microsoft) file can be very large when uncompressed but, that doesn't mean it is harmful, just that it would be very large and may cause a scanner to fail leaving you compromised. You don't mention the location it is possible to increase the column size to be able to see the full path.

I would think that you have nothing to worry about.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fedelissimo

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 04:06:33 PM »
Thanks a lot DavidR, I will control and send to you the complete path, as you explained it looks like that are no troubles.

Ciao

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 05:23:23 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security