Author Topic: avast slow start up UI and reset?  (Read 5991 times)

Offline Zoart666

avast slow start up UI and reset?
« on: October 04, 2020, 05:51:58 AM »
Hello,

I want to know if anyone else had this problem before or is having it now.

I did a fresh install of Windows, everything is updated and even did a windows defender scan before installing avast.

Everything seemed to be working fine for a few days but then when opening the avast ui, watching the circle it slowed down quite a bit. It took around 5 to 7 seconds maybe to get the menu. Also it seems at that time the adjustments I made to the full virus scan for reset except for 1 option. And it seems to keep resetting those options every so often.

On the day it slowed down 2 things happened. I think avast had a UI update or something as I noticed the check marks looked different and I installed malwarebytes (not active or real time scanning. Just for manual). And I did not browse to anything besides Google and the application sites, avast and malwarebytes, also eliminating the email option as there was no email installed.

The way that I seemed to have fixed the slow down issue is by going back to factory defaults (so no reinstall). Not too sure if the resetting of my options still happens.

But this is the second time this happened on 2 different windows installs.

Also I did full scans with avast and malwarebytes to make sure that it wasn't anything malicious.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: avast slow start up UI and reset?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 08:27:35 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Zoart666

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 09:26:03 AM »
Regarding Avast & Malwarebytes, see: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/200324-exclusions-for-avast-users/

All shields of malwarebytes are off. As I said I only use it as a manual scanner. I even deactivate the trial and completely make it free.

It's also not a problem with the shields, I think. I have noticed only so far that the settings in full virus scan is reset to defaults, haven't checked the shields at that time but I have not changed those.

Unless something goes wrong during the install of malwarebytes , otherwise I don't think it has much effect, or it's because of the forced free trial? . If it is malwarebytes that would imply that it messes with avast files and settings. And I have always used both of them in the past. But if it was related to files, not sure if factory reset should fix the speed then, which so far it seems it does.

I should note that there's nothing installed on the pc besides those 2 things.

I do remember that the last time this happened was in July and now it happened again a few days ago with a fresh install of Windows.

It's either an avast update or malwarebytes that does something to the settings and avast. And I do want to figure it out as it's bothering me too much as to if it could be something malicious or not.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 09:54:04 AM by Zoart666 »

Offline Zoart666

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 11:24:18 AM »
Regarding Avast & Malwarebytes, see: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/200324-exclusions-for-avast-users/

So checking a laptop I have that didn't update avast since begin September. It think it has the same results as my desktop with avast and the laptop does not have malwarebytes

Offline Zoart666

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 12:49:07 PM »
Bump

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 01:12:05 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Zoart666

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 03:57:26 PM »
Bump
Any question(s)..?

Yes and no, it's that I haven't really found an answer yet to it. It's not because of malwarebytes. Cuz when I look at a laptop that doesn't have malwarebytes installed. For what I can see it also slowed down and reset the custom full scan settings. And the avast version and defition that was on it was like 6th of September and then updates it fully yesterday and for what I saw it happened there as well too.

So I can only think it's because of an avast update? But that would also mean there should be more people who should have this problem which I haven't seen or found. Ofcourse I want to know if it's nothing malicious

I want to know what exactly is going on and if it will get fixed or something? As this happened in July as well

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 04:08:22 PM »
@Zoart666.
What version of Windows are you using on those machines you are having problems with?
Also what version of Avast?
Did you install Avast using online (stub) installer or offline installer?
You have mentioned Malwarebytes on one machine. Do you have any other anti-malware/antivirus software installed?

Offline Zoart666

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 04:46:07 PM »
@Zoart666.
What version of Windows are you using on those machines you are having problems with?
You have mentioned Malwarebytes on one machine. Do you have any other anti-malware/antivirus software installed?

- Both are windows version 1909 but this also happened with 2004.
- Avast version the September and October version. Can't remember the old version 20.7.xxxx but right now, 20.8.2429.
- I think it's the default online installer.
- Only malwarebytes on one machine but the shields are not active. It's a second opinion scanner.

Avast seemed okay at the start and all. But I think once he received the update where the checkmarks looked different in settings, like he full green ones is when it started this.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 05:02:57 PM »
@Zoart666.

- Avast version the September and October version. Can't remember the old version 20.7.xxxx but right now, 20.8.2429.
- Only malwarebytes on one machine but the shields are not active. It's a second opinion scanner.

Avast seemed okay at the start and all. But I think once he received the update where the checkmarks looked different in settings, like he full green ones is when it started this.
What settings and what checkmarks? Screenshots may be helpful.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Zoart666

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 05:47:08 PM »
@Zoart666.

What settings and what checkmarks? Screenshots may be helpful.

The settings that you can adjust in the full virus scan for example the sensitivity, scan for pups etc. I have to do a factory default settings to fix the speed for opening avast. And I think somewhere in July when it happened something in the UI changed as well, the don't got thicker or something, can't remember too much from that

To pin point a date or time I use the checkmarks because that's when I noticed that it started to slow down and reset. And I get the feeling it happens when such changes happen but that is speculation.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 06:31:51 PM by Zoart666 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 06:13:14 PM »
Please attach your screenshot(s)..!!

Offline Zoart666

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 06:19:47 PM »
Please attach your screenshot(s)..!!

I tried that but it kept saying they were too big. Soninhad to upload it through a third source.

Had to cut the picture quite a bit but they're attachments.now
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 06:32:32 PM by Zoart666 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 10:31:29 AM »
Good job. Yes, that has been changed in UI 1.0.562

Offline Zoart666

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 02:48:47 PM »
Good job. Yes, that has been changed in UI 1.0.562

Yeah, so I get the feeling that once the UI gets updated something goes wrong and slows down when opening avast and even resets settings in the custom full scans, maybe even more or took some settings from somewhere else. But I remember right the same thing happened in July and there was a UI change back then as well.