Author Topic: Boot time scan closing and going to windows splash screen before scanning files  (Read 6474 times)

Offline mojoe-dude

The title say most of my problem I have tried running it in windows safe mode (windows 10)  this instead gives me a screen that says it has 0 files to scan says it's complete and loads me into windows safe mode. Any help would be nice thank you for reading this <3

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You shouldn't have to do anything special like boot into safe mode, that is all handled in the Boot-Time scan settings, attached image.
Did it download them ?

If not that could be a possible reason for an aborted scan, but less likely.

The boot time scan should handle things all you need to do is select click the 'Run on next Boot' button and then just restart the system (see attached image).

If The scan started did you get anything displayed to the screen ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Sherie3

I am having the same issue on two of my windows 10 pc's. You set it to boot time scan and then reboot the computer. It looks like its going to start the scan and then it stops within a few seconds and boots to the windows splash screen without doing the scan. It shows on the history of scans that the run time is "seconds" instead of the two hours that it normally would take.

Offline mojoe-dude

You shouldn't have to do anything special like boot into safe mode, that is all handled in the Boot-Time scan settings, attached image.
Did it download them ?

If not that could be a possible reason for an aborted scan, but less likely.

The boot time scan should handle things all you need to do is select click the 'Run on next Boot' button and then just restart the system (see attached image).

If The scan started did you get anything displayed to the screen ?
Yes i did all of the things you said and when it tried to scan it did not even get past the first file before it went to the windows login screen

Offline Kenny68

I'm having the same issue I have tried a number of ways to get this working from reinstalling avast to even using the command prompt tool but I get the same it just looks like its about to start the kicks me straight to the windows log in screen. When I check the reports it is saying that 0 files where scanned. Could it have something to do with the latest update?? Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
OK, I have tried to draw Avast attention to this topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mojoe-dude

OK, I have tried to draw Avast attention to this topic.
Thank you very much <3

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.

Hopefully it will come soon, it is a very, very long time since I ran a boot-time scan and they used to be pretty bullet proof.

Offline ken269

Having the same problem.  After reading that it might be a bug in the recent update, I reloaded 20.7 and boot-scan works like it used to. 

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
This has been picked up by Avast, but Igor told us it will take at least a few days to fix it.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
We've recently found a problem that may cause the described symptoms. The issue is fixed in the latest virus definitions (201006-2) in beta versions of Avast.
If no problems appear, the production version will get this fix in a few days (again, via virus definitions).

Even though I'm not 100% sure if the problem is the same, I'm rather sure the problem here has nothing to do with a particular version of Avast - because almost all the code of the boot-time scanner resides in virus definitions. So there's no point in downgrading to Avast 20.7 (for example) - it won't help. (Yes, if you install it from an offline installer, you might get some old virus definitions which may not contain the problem - but as soon as the definitions get updated, it won't matter if it's 20.7, 20.8 or other).

If the problem persist even in the future (say next week), uploading the file "C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\aswBoot.log" may give us some clues.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 03:28:34 PM by igor »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Thanks for the clarification Igor.

Offline kspence27

I'm having the same exact issue, I schedule a boot time scan, reboot the pc, boot time scan appears to start and the within seconds it goes to windows splash screen, highly frustrating. I've tried updating avast and repairing it, no luck. Is it a bug with the newest update? Hoping avast fixes this!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
I'm having the same exact issue, I schedule a boot time scan, reboot the pc, boot time scan appears to start and the within seconds it goes to windows splash screen, highly frustrating. I've tried updating avast and repairing it, no luck. Is it a bug with the newest update? Hoping avast fixes this!
See Reply #10 from Igor.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline james.black5217

My boot time scan will not run. It gets to start scan  then the Windows Boot Up takes over and there is no scan. Tried several times to make it work but to no avail. Please help.