Author Topic: Offline Avast Free License Expiref  (Read 1615 times)

Offline tonywcaddick

Offline Avast Free License Expiref
« on: October 08, 2020, 06:13:36 AM »
Hello

I've just installed the Free Avast software to a Windows PC that has no access to the internet

It's a clean install

As soon as you open it, it states licence expired and all other options are then on the internet

I have screenshots but have no idea how to upload them

The support document is as much use as a chocolate teapot as it assumes you have internet access

Any help would be appreciated

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Offline Avast Free License Expiref
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 12:03:10 PM »
OK, you don't say what Windows or Avast versions you are talking about.

Avast is a resident, on-access antivirus and part of its scanning modules uses an internet connection to check out unknown files, etc.

Avast also really does require Internet access to be able to keep the Virus Definitions up to date or it too could be as much use as a chocolate teapot.   Or it will keep stating that your Virus definitions, etc. are out of date, that would require you to periodically download the full virus definitions database (from another PC with internet access).

Some time ago there used to be a registration for old versions of Avast, but I don't know if this still works, https://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus .

As for screenshots, Attachments and other options (below the text input window), click to expand.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 01:42:20 PM »
Hi,

You need to be online to activate your license.
https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Activate-Free-Antivirus/

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 06:58:35 PM »
DavidR and bob3160 were right to be dubious about the answer given by MartinZ here.
I think that the simple fact that avast requires a connection to activate a free license answers their questions: avast free continues to be not totally free, which makes no sense contrary to what MartinZ announced.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 01:38:05 PM »
DavidR and bob3160 were right to be dubious about the answer given by MartinZ here.
I think that the simple fact that avast requires a connection to activate a free license answers their questions: avast free continues to be not totally free, which makes no sense contrary to what MartinZ announced.

Hi,

Just to clarify, the current offline installer (https://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?product=FAV-AVAST&locale=en-ww&direct=1) for Avast Free does not require you to have internet access to install it nor does it require you to activate it.
The article is for those older versions where it expires.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 02:44:05 PM »

Hi,

Just to clarify, the current offline installer (https://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?product=FAV-AVAST&locale=en-ww&direct=1) for Avast Free does not require you to have internet access to install it nor does it require you to activate it.

If only that were the case, as we continue to see cases like this in the forums, hopefully this new offline installation file will see an end to this.  That said the OP hasn't got back to the topic to answer the questions about what avast version/build he installed. 

Presumably the off-line installation file (from wherever source they got it) was used on this off-line computer.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 07:02:26 PM »
Hi

Hi,

In this case your intervention
You need to be online to activate your license.
was a bit radical.
Unless you know which Avast version and OS are used by tonywcaddick (as requested by DavidR) , it's quick to answer that he needs to be online to activate his license.
V20.8 offline with W10 by exemple should not require a connection.