Author Topic: Can't open new skins?  (Read 3319 times)

MrObvious

Can't open new skins?
« on: September 30, 2006, 06:44:30 AM »
For some reason downloading new skins doesn't work with the computer. I have put them in the skin folder and nothing is showing up except the two default ones. What's going on? The computer is an administrative account on XP home.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Can't open new skins?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 07:12:40 AM »
If you're downloading skins with Internet Explorer, as soon as you click on them, they will auto-install themselves. No additional action required on your end.

I have no clue which browser you used since you left no info inside your post.

What is the extension of those files you manually put in skins folder ? It should be .asws

If it's .aswcs, that's installation file, not the extracted skin file. You need to double click each .aswcs file to manually install each skin.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

MrObvious

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 03:04:42 PM »
I tried double clicking it. It brings up the which program I want to open it with program.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 03:19:51 PM »
Select the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe (simple user interface) I think that is the one that can unpack them.

If you had used the get more skins inside the Simple User Interface Menu, then it should have installed itself. If however, you downloaded the skin .aswcs file and saved to disk it won't know what file to use to unpack it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rain

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 03:20:24 PM »
I had this same problem, (I am using Firefox mostly.) but I overcame it... how did I do that?

I put the skins into the skins folder and I double clicked on each one... which caused the skin to open, sans the av information... you know, kind of like a blank graphic? I think after that, avast!'s skin thing, recognised them as existing.. I did not have to instal anything... but I don't remember exactly how I did this... I tend to be an intuitive user...

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 03:50:30 PM »
I had this same problem, (I am using Firefox mostly.) but I overcame it... how did I do that?

I put the skins into the skins folder and I double clicked on each one... which caused the skin to open, sans the av information... you know, kind of like a blank graphic? I think after that, avast!'s skin thing, recognised them as existing.. I did not have to instal anything... but I don't remember exactly how I did this... I tend to be an intuitive user...

If you downloaded them with Firefox as you said yourself, whatever you did, you had to install it because all you've got by downloading it with Firefox is installation file .aswcs and nothing else. You have to install it to extract the skin file from it... Trust me, I know exactly what I'm talkig about, I made bunch of those skins and I know how they work.

This is what you get when downloading with Firefox:

DavidR also mentioned what needs to be done in case your computer doesn't know which program to use to open these skins ;)

However... why complicating things more than it's needed. Regardless of if you love or hate IE and you use Firefox or Opera or any other browser out there... I am 100% sure you still have IE installed because it is normal part of your OS.

1.) Start your IE,
2.) go to skins section on avast! web site
3.) click on skin that you want to download

and in less than 15 seconds, skin will be downloaded and Auto-installed on your system. Nothing is easier than this...  ;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 03:54:14 PM by szc »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Rain

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 09:58:00 PM »
szc

If you downloaded them with Firefox as you said yourself, whatever you did, you had to install it because all you've got by downloading it with Firefox is installation file .aswcs and nothing else. You have to install it to extract the skin file from it... Trust me, I know exactly what I'm talkig about, I made bunch of those skins and I know how they work.

I believe you, I just don't remember...  (pretty sad, as it was only a week ago)

Ok, I just downloaded a skin...

I put it into the Skin folder, and double clicked it, which produced a larger file with the same name, and a text file, Avast took care of the rest... as for technicalities in case that does not work, I have no idea...