Author Topic: new version question  (Read 10851 times)

nrv

new version question
« on: September 30, 2006, 02:51:23 PM »
The latest version of Avast Home edition downloaded yesterday and today when I ran the scan it seems that I now have an additional few hundred thousand files that I didn't have before the new version.
Is this related to the new version itself? Or is the new version uncovering files the previous version didn't scan?
I haven't added anything to my hard drive other than the new version.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: new version question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 03:11:17 PM »
Can you expand on this information, what additional few hundred thousand files (Hasn't your Mother told you a million times not to exaggerate ;D ;D) ?
Can you give some examples of the files and locations ?

In my version of avast I have 207 files in 21 folders (winXP explorer, Properties of the Alwil Software folder) , so I can see a couple of hundred new files not a few hundred Thousand new files ?

Where are you getting this information from ?
What is your OS ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nrv

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 03:18:03 PM »
Hi David,
 Thanks for your reply.
 No exaggeration.
I'm watching the scan take place and yesterday I had just over 600 thousand files scanned and this morning it was well over 900 thousand files scanned.
Using Window xp professional.
Also, I see my hard drive has increased in filled space since the download from 28 gigs to over 39 gigs with nothing else added to my har drive but the latest version.

nrv

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 03:27:04 PM »
As I've been asked not to list this as a separate post, the new version also has increased my hard drive usage from 28 gigs to over 39 gigs without anything else added to my hard drive other than the new version
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 03:31:35 PM by nrv »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 03:31:51 PM »
The scan count includes the total files scanned including those inside archive files, so say you have an .iso or .cab or .zip file which represents one single file on your hdd but, it could contain many hundred or thousands of files.

These files are unpacked in a temporary location and should on successful completion of the scan should be removed. Look for files with UNPxxxxx (where xxxx is a numeric value) in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp\_avast4_ folder, this is the default location for these files.

You could clean all temp folders and see if that reduces the overhead.
1. ClearProg - Temp File Cleaner or CCleaner - Temp File Cleaner, etc.
2. CWShredder
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nrv

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 03:36:15 PM »
Thanks David.
I'll give that a try.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 03:40:39 PM »
As I've been asked not to list this as a separate post, the new version also has increased my hard drive usage from 28 gigs to over 39 gigs without anything else added to my hard drive other than the new version

That was me so we can keep what is essentially the same issue together.

avast is an 11.5MB download depending on language version and there is no way that could expand to an extra 11GB on your previous HDD used space. So this is very strange and I doubt that any UNPxxxx files left after a scan wouldn't account for this 11GB without getting some sort of error or warning that might have resulted from the UNPxxxx file being left.

So I will wait to see what you turn up from my previous post.

nrv

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 03:58:38 PM »
Hi again David,

I ran the scan for the temporary avast file but it didn't locate it using the path you offered with my own info in place.
So I ran a general disk clean up.
I ran the standard disk clean up and it didn't list the additional tempory files there either.
Nothing so far has revealed where the additional usage is located.

There is still the additional usage on my HDD.

Also, maybe a year or two ago I recall installing an updated version of avast home and something similar happened where there was this huge increase in HDD use.
If I remember correctly within a few days Avast provided a new version that corrected the problem then.
I don't know that this is the same situation but I know I did not have anywhere near 39 gigs of usage on my HDD before installing the latest version.

This is on my desktop PC and we use it sparingly and for specific purposes compared to the general use of our laptops.

nrv

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 04:00:32 PM »
David,
 this last disk cleaner located the \Temp\_avast4_ folder and it only contains a 100 kbs.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 05:01:03 PM »
I just realised I gave you an unintentional link for CWShreader which has nothing to do with cleaning temp folders.

Add the 100KB to that of your avast program folder and you don't come up with much my avast4 program folder is 61MB, so I have no idea where this extra comes from. I simply can't see how an 11.5 MB install file can turn into an extra 11GB on your HDD, if anyone could come up with this kind of compression (1000:1) they would make a fortune.

Is there any way of doing a files and folder search by date for newly created files or folders, because I can't see how this can be down to avast if there aren't any large UNPxxxx files ?

nrv

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 05:16:02 PM »
I just went over my computer searching for any additional or new files or downloads besides the avast and came up with nothing new.
Other than the avast update no one has downloaded anything other than a few expected emails and business reports.
Those are accounted for and none contained more than 350 kbs max.

I've rescanned and come up with the same conclusion.

I called a techie friend at the local university and he recommended removing the avast on my HDD and downloading another copy of it from Avast and reinstalling from scratch.

I am in the processing of setting this up and will run the new download and see what happens.
Thanks again for your help, David.

battlecore

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 06:05:41 PM »
Sorry, some mintes ago i have postet this in wrong thread. Here´s now the posting. Hope it´s right.

Hallo,
i´m new here and from germany. Hey, is there any avast-forum in german??

My problem,
i´ve received an update of avast-Virusscanner online wih automatic update. The new version is now Avast! 4.7 Home Edition Build Oct2006 (4.7.892).

First my problem was that the onAcces-scanner displays the big messages from scanning a website while opening in a browser. Before updating to new version there was no message. The big blue / Yellow messages were only displayed while receiving emails. But now its very confusing wehne opening a webpage and there is this *nag-screen* while surfing Undecided

But now..i reached a new problem.
After the update..
My drive D: has 2,4 Gig free space (there are most progs and files on drive D). Now after avast-update there was 240 Meg free space on Drive D. What the hell is going on here?

The Avast-Folder is about 57,2MB with 199 Files and 20 folders, on Drive the folder has 57,5 MB. The Partition D: has 6.62 GB.

The space on my Drive C: is normally and untouched (plus-minus some MB).

Operatingsystem is windowsXP pro SP2, othe security-software is Bitdefender72free, PandaAV7, AdAware SE Personal 106 and Bazooka 113beta2, ZoneAlarm v61744001. The other Scanners i have for cross-checking and comparison.

Please tell my something to do that i have space on my partition again.
Thanks,
Michael.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 06:22:14 PM »

First my problem was that the onAcces-scanner displays the big messages from scanning a website while opening in a browser. Before updating to new version there was no message. The big blue / Yellow messages were only displayed while receiving emails. But now its very confusing wehne opening a webpage and there is this *nag-screen* while surfing Undecided

Left click the avast icon, click standard shield, customize, advanced tab. Check to see if there is a check mark in "show detailed info on preformed action". If there is, clear the check mark. Do the same with web shield and script blocking if these providers are present.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 06:25:34 PM »
1. The Forum language is English only that way more people can assist with problems.

2. This Web Shield, Customize, Advanced  'Show detailed info on performed actions' option is OFF by default and shouldn't have been enabled because of an update. The Standard Shield and Internet Mail also have this option (again OFF by default), so also check those.

3. I have no idea why this might be related to avast or not, but I suggest you also check the folders I have mentioned in my other posts and clearing of temp files and see if that has any effect. The ClearProg link above is a German company.

4. I notice you also have a second AV Panda, it isn't recommended having two resident AVs on the same system as they can cause conflicts that could lock your system. Panda also has the bad habit of not encrypting its signature files so they could be incorrectly detected as viruses. This could also cause interaction resulting in duplication of scans and possibly an increase in temp files but, I can't say for certain.

It isn't a case of two resident AVs providing twice the protection, they may leave you more vulnerable. Bitdefender is fine as a second AV as it is an on-demand (you start the scan) scanner.

battlecore

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »
Hey ho :-) :-)
thanks! i´ve found the switch to supress this messages. :-)

David: I know the problem wiht panda-AV. The Panda-folder is disabled for scan with Avast because of the problem that avast recognized viruses. I don´t run Panda or other scanners and Avast at the same time. Avast is standard and Panda is not resident in memory and the protection is disabled. I use Panda and the other scanners only on demand and only some times for scannig files if another Antivirus found viruses. Thats only to check files twice.

hmmz..
i´ve checked the folders vor the Avast-TEMPfiles before posting the problem. There are no files in that folder :-\
My Drive C: is not changed in free space. Some MB only. But the Drive where Avast is installed has changed from 2,4GB to 240MB free space :-(
I don´t know why. No idea what happens.
I don´t have installed other programs, don´t burn CD´s wich want some temporary space, no downloads, no new saved data.. nothing.
only let avast make the update.

hmmz..
now i have run some programs to delete temp-files, cleaner-programs like TraxEx and CC-cleaner.
No change in free space :-(