Author Topic: new version question  (Read 10854 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: new version question
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006, 07:02:27 PM »
It isn't a question of running them at the same time but I thought PandaAV7 is a resident scanner and even with it paused or disabled it will have virtual device drivers loaded from registry legacy keys.

I have no idea either, on my program update I have had no noticible difference in my HDD freespace, although there have been a number of windows security updates of late and you are likely to see them in large quantities in the windows folder, but that is on your C: drive.

The same answer I gave for 'nrv' I can't see how this could happen from an incremental program update that wasn't very large could turn into GBs of additional data when your avast4 folder appears normal and there are no files in the _avast4_ temp folder, I'm baffled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

battlecore

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2006, 07:10:05 PM »
hallo,
hmm..i don´t know :-(

hmm..there is definitifly no resident scanner :-)
i´ve unload them and remove them. They only starts on demand, but it´s right..after start them n demand the scanner is resident and i must restart to unload them again. But..it runs very good.

hmm
i will take a look at the free-space problem next time. I send a posting if i see anything. Some things go wrong with this update

Greets,
Michael.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2006, 07:19:02 PM »
Even if something went wrong with the update it shouldn't result in this kind of decrease in Free space, without any resultant UNPxxxx files I would have thought. Even if you were to download the full version 11.5MB and then uninstall avast and reinstall using the downloaded version I doubt that it would clear any increase that you have seen.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2006, 07:23:48 PM »
It's not very surprising that the new build can scan up to several hundreds of thousands of files more than the previous. The reason is simple - the re-added CHM unpacker.

CHM files (Windows HTML Help files) tend to contain many subobjects (pages) that count as separate files. E.g. just the CHM's bundled with MS Office contain tens of thousands of files...

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

nrv

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2006, 09:07:26 PM »
After removing the new installation of the recent version of avast home I saw my computer's HDD shows I have used only 28gigs of HDD space, this is what I had thought and is normal, while the new version of avast showed it had scanned files for a total of 39.1 gigs.
After downloading the latest version again and installing and running the scan the scan states I once again had files totalling 39.1 gigs scanned..if I had used 39.1 gigs of HDD space then my computer should have indicated that I had already used that much space, but it didn't.

Is there any possibility I can download the previous version again?
I'd like to remove the latest version

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2006, 09:29:26 PM »
avast is not telling you how much space is used on your hard drive, avast is not a disk space utility.

avast is telling you how much data it scanned.  A lot of the data that avast is scanning for you is in the form of compressed files.  avast unpacks that data temporarily during the scan to check all the contents.  At the end it reports to you the total of all the unpacked data it scanned for you. 

nrv

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2006, 10:15:23 PM »
After removing the previous new download from my HDD and downloading and installing a fresh version of the updated avast home, I am still seeing that it is scanning over 39 gigs while the the total used space on my computer comes to 28+ gigs and that includes the XP restore files.

Where are these extra gigs the scan is finding coming from when they weren't there yesterday when I ran the morning scan using the previous, non updated, version?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 10:29:30 PM »
I have removed this post - not relevant
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 10:32:45 PM by essexboy »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2006, 10:30:36 PM »
Have you read this thread at all?

I explained to you in the post above ....

avast is not telling you how much space is used on your drive.

avast is telling you the sum total of every file it scanned including all the compressed files it expanded and unpacked temporarily during the scan.  Those temporarily unpacked files are deleted after avast has scanned them but  their size is included in the scanned data count.

Vlk explained clearly to you above that the new release of avast contains a new unpacker that, during scans, unpacks and scans more data than in the previous release. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 10:45:25 PM by alanrf »

nrv

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2006, 11:34:01 PM »
Sorry..I did miss all of that explanation.. I thought I had followed the threadsbut apparently not..
may not have read.

My point, which I think you are missing is, I know what is on this HDD as it was purchased new recently; it is used in a home where only two people access it and it is used solely for business related emails and files.

There aren't any zip files stored on it.
There aren't any CAB files stored on it.

There are Word files and Excel files and Access files and some powerpoint files and  some email letters.

There are some graphics and photos.

There is software that was installed at the factory.

Dell says the total files content for what they installed would not come to that many gigs.

I can virtually add up the file sizes per folder and come up with a total close to what the C:\ shows.

So I hope you'll understand I can account for nearly everything on the HDD and so for avast to suddenly inform me I have 39gigs of files on a computer that has limited use and more limited uses for storage and all the temp files are empty and I have only been able to determine approximately 28 gigs of usage on the disk and approximately 18 gigs of accountable mostly text files, I am still a bit doubtful as to the ability of avast to find all of these other files that it itself did not create.

nrv

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2006, 11:37:57 PM »
Sorry..I must have missed all of that explanation.. I thought I had followed the threads but apparently not..

My point, which I think you are missing is, I know what is on this HDD as it was purchased new recently; it is used in a home where only two people access it and it is used solely for business related emails and files.

There aren't any zip files stored on it.
There aren't any CAB files stored on it.

There are Word files and Excel files and Access files and some Powerpoint files and  some email letters.

There are some graphics and photos.

There is software that was installed at the factory.

Dell says the total files content for what they installed would not come to that many gigs.

I can virtually add up the file sizes per folder and come up with a total close to what the C:\ shows.

So I hope you'll understand I can account for nearly everything on the HDD and so for avast to suddenly inform me I have 39gigs of files on a computer that has limited use and more limited uses for storage and all the temp files are empty and I have only been able to determine approximately 28 gigs of usage on the disk and approximately 18 gigs of accountable mostly text files, I am still a bit doubtful as to the ability of avast to find all of these other files that I have to wonder if it itself did not create.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2006, 02:11:47 AM »
nrv,

You appear to have a Dell computer that is apparently quite new. 

I too have a Dell computer that is quite new. 

I rather suspect that similar system images would have been placed by Dell on the hard drives of your system and mine.  I know that my system arrived from Dell with less than 5Gb occupied on the C:\ drive.

There are certainly compressed files (including many CAB files) as part of the system image placed by Dell on the system.  For example the C:\i386 folder occupies 340Mb of space on my system, when that folder is thoroughly scanned by avast then 1.3Gb of unpacked files is reported scanned.

It appears that you have added a large volume of data to the system.  Only you know the numbers and mix of the files but if a large part of the extra data is Microsoft Office type files, Excel, Word, Powerpoint then I think you may indeed have a valid concern about the data scanned count. 

My testing shows that when avast scans (at standard or thorough sensitivity) any of these document types the data scanned count is about double the real size of the document (I just scanned one single .doc file; the number of files scanned was reported as 10 and the scanned size was double the real file size).  This seems to be consistent for any of the MSOffice type files (a folder with 25 documents when scanned reports 158 files and scanned count double the real file size).

When these documents are scanned at the quick scan sensitivity the scanned count is the same as the real document size and the file count is correct too. 

So if you have 10Gb of MSOffice files then avast is likely to report it scanned 20Gb and very many more files than you really have.  This might go a long way towards explaining the "overestimate" of scanned data you are seeing.

If you have a folder just containing MSOffice type documents you might want to just run a scan of that folder and see what the results show.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 02:35:31 AM by alanrf »