Author Topic: Lost System Tray icon  (Read 36249 times)

darek12

Re: Lost System Tray icon
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2006, 04:28:16 AM »
:D
Thanks everyone for helpful remarks and…patience.

Alanrf, I uninstalled Win Defender [rebooted and cleaned leftovers] and did suggested registry changing. Tech Support [thanks!] send me ashdisp file.

After reboot, both ‘evaporated’!

I started to look around.
Task Manager showed nothing suspicious.
I opened Registry, checked RUN…
Bingo!

A few weeks ago, I installed [and forget, never use, nothing checked!] SuperAntiSpyware.
Even no one programs I used show any running entries of it, but there was –SASWINLO.dll
I deleted the key and rebooted.

One more time, reg hack and asdisp on place.

Rebooted…

Yes!!!!!!!!
There are avast! balloons !!!!!!!!

Everything is OK now!
Thank you!
 ;D

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2006, 05:12:19 AM »
darek12,

First let me congratulate you on your determination, perseverance and success in identifying the real culprit on your system. 

I am fairly confident that Windows Defender has not contributed to this problem.  Though, having been accused, you will probably find it being suspected for many a year in this forum.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, one of the folks I support has had Windows Defender running for a long time and I know, without any doubt, that his update and continued use of 4.7.892 along with Windows Defender has been without any issues.  I would certainly not counsel you against re-installing Windows Defender if you want its protection.

I'll put my system where my mouth is and install Windows Defender so that I will know first hand how it works with avast.

darek12

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2006, 06:53:06 AM »
:D
alanrf,

Thank you again.

Win Defender installed!
Updated [avast also!].
Rebooted few times.

No problem there!!!
 ;D

Best regards,

darek12.

alanwheeler

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2006, 03:17:22 PM »
I, too, can now be added to the ever lengthening list of people who have lost the Avast system tray icons, nor is Avast in Startup in msconfig.  I've only been using Avast for about a month, at the recommendation of a friend, to try and get rid of all the spyware/adware that keeps infecting my computer and it seems to work well for that.  I first thought that my 15 year old stepdaughter or one of her friends (who all think that they are computer experts becaue they know how to navigate AIM and MySpace) had done something to cause the problem.  After reading several of the comments in this forum I still don't have a clue how to fix it.  Can someone at Avast tell me in simple terms (because I don't have a clue what most of you are even talking about) how to fix this...or can it even be fixed.  I am running Windows XP Professional and no other antivirus programs.

alanwheeler

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2006, 03:20:11 PM »
I, too, can now be added to the ever lengthening list of people who have lost the Avast system tray icons, nor is Avast in Startup in msconfig.  I've only been using Avast for about a month, at the recommendation of a friend, to try and get rid of all the spyware/adware that keeps infecting my computer and it seems to work well for that.  I first thought that my 15 year old stepdaughter or one of her friends (who all think that they are computer experts becaue they know how to navigate AIM and MySpace) had done something to cause the problem.  After reading several of the comments in this forum I still don't have a clue how to fix it.  Can someone at Avast tell me in simple terms (because I don't have a clue what most of you are even talking about) how to fix this...or can it even be fixed.  I am running Windows XP Professional and no other antivirus programs.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2006, 03:46:56 PM »
I, too, can now be added to the ever lengthening list of people who have lost the Avast system tray icons...
You should say the people that have some aplication that messes avast installation  ;)
I suggest:

1. Check the option in the Appearance tab of settings.
or
2. Repair your avast installation through Control Panel.
or
3. Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder
or
4. Add the path to ashDisp.exe into a value named avast! in the Windows Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
The best things in life are free.