Author Topic: ZoneAlarm ashQuick.exe  (Read 4221 times)

hayduke

ZoneAlarm ashQuick.exe
« on: October 01, 2006, 01:46:48 AM »
I searched and didn't see where anyone had ask about this one before.

It didn't ask but I noticed ashQuick.exe had turned up in ZA's program list and wondered if it ever needs any internet or server rights.

Ever since I updated to this latest version of ZA (6.5.737.000) ever program I run turns up on the "programs" tab. Anyone else notice this?

thanks,
hayduke

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: ZoneAlarm ashQuick.exe
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 03:12:15 PM »
Are you using ZA Pro or free ?
ashQuick.exe (right click context menu, quick file scanner) doesn't require internet access, the only ones that do are avast.setup (the avast update process), ashMaiSv.exe (Internet Mail scanner) and ashWebSv.exe (Web Shield).

I haven't used ZA for more than three years but, my Outpost Pro has recently been updated to version 4.0 and I notice more pop-ups about avast processes, like ashDisp.exe (avast system tray icon) calling/initiating say an avast update (avast.setup), when I initiate a manual update. But, it isn't connecting to the internet and since it was a valid operation as I was running a manual update then I allowed it.

Perhaps this is some form of tightening outbound security (leak testing/checking), in ZA as it is in Outpost.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hayduke

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 04:31:49 PM »
Thanks David.

That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure.

Now I have another Avast program that popped up on the program list:

ashSimpl.exe

I figure this is probably the simple user interface. It doesn't need any access or server rights either, correct?

While we're at it, I saw where someone posted that ashWebSv.exe needed server rights. Is that in the Internet or Tursted zone or both?

Same question with ashMaiSv.exe, does it need any type of server rights?

Appreciate the help,

hayduke

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 04:44:01 PM »
I don't know whay ZA is putting these (ashDisp.disp and ashsimpl.exe, simple user interface) in the program list as they don't connect to the internet but they are lanching other processes (usually avast.setup) that need access.
Quote from: DavidR
the only ones that do are avast.setup (the avast update process), ashMaiSv.exe (Internet Mail scanner) and ashWebSv.exe (Web Shield).

I would give full rights to these but, since they perform localhost (proxy) functions so I would suggest you start with the lowest and if that doesn't work increase it.

You haven't said what version of ZA you have but I suspect Pro as the free version isn't nearly as good at outbound protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hayduke

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 05:41:15 PM »
Sorry, thought I mentioned it. ZA free 6.5.737.000

I thought it was strange to that those would show up on the ZA program tab. I even had wordpad show up after I used it!

I wasn't having any of these unusual exe files pop up on the ZA program tab till I installed ZA free 6.5.737.000.

I've been using ZA for 5-6 years and these particular exe files never showed up when I was using earlier versions of ZA so I'm almost positive it's something in this latest version of ZA.

Really appreciate your help. I'd rather ask here as I don't trust the advice given in the ZA forums. Standard answer there pretty much seems to be if it wants out let it or insinuations that there's something wrong with every program on the computer except ZA.

hayduke

PS
Spybot S&D, Ad-aware, Avast, Ewido, TrojanHunter, Housecall, Windows Defender all say I'm clean. This is a fresh (Repartitioned & reformatted before installing XP. Never ever been connected to the internet without being behind a router and a sofware firewall enabled either) install of XP Home and there's nothing strange in the HijackThis log.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 06:48:52 PM »
It just looks like they have beefed up the outbound protection but why they would have the initiating/calling program in the Program Tab I suppose it would allow you to deny 'direct' access to the internet byt, I don't know if that would subsequently stop them calling a program that should be allowed access like avast.setup, weird.

hayduke

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 06:39:25 AM »
It really is worrisome especially when you can find at least two answers for every question in the ZA forums.

But anyway back to ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner) and ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service). Do they need server rights in either the Trusted or Internet zone or both?

thanks again.
hayduke

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 01:35:36 PM »
As I previously said:
Quote from: DavidR
I would give full rights to these but, since they perform localhost (proxy) functions so I would suggest you start with the lowest and if that doesn't work increase it.

Starting with just internet access if that doesn't work add server access.

mauserme

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 01:50:06 PM »
Two or three updates back Zone Alarm started logging every program opened in the program tab whether or not it wants internet access.  Its turned into a real nuisance.

I've removed ZA from many computers because of this but on those where its still installed I continue to deny server rights to all programs without problems (I'm not hosting anything on these, of course)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 02:20:18 PM »
Thanks for the feed back mauserme. Yes a real nuisance, why record activity unrelated to internet connections. It would put the wind up the very people who use ZA because of its previous user friendly interface and because many of those are novice users.

hal124

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 06:15:31 AM »
I had connectivity problems with 6.5 & 6.1 so I am using
5.5.094. I have no part of avast granted server right.
ashserv. = trusted and internet
avast setup = trusted and internet
ashmaisv = trusted and internet
ashwebsv = trusted and internet
ashsimpl = trusted and internet
no server right to any
ZA 5.5.094 free